Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Badly Played \"combo\" Draw - 2-5NL

2-5 NL 300cap 8-handed

BB (hero - 450) = 9d4d
MP1 (weak passive - 700)
MP3 (lagtard - covers)

MP3 is a very laggy, very aggressive player who will get more than 100BB in with one pair or a flush draw, but he will do the betting and raising, and will rarely call off with those hands. MP1 is a new player who has shown no aggression so far but has picked up a few big hands which he has slowplayed to the river. He's also been bluffed off a few pairs.

Preflop: I'm in the BB with 9d4d and get a free play behind 5 limpers including MP1 and MP3.

Flop: (30) Ad Td 9h
UTG checks, MP1 bets 15, MP3 calls 15, 2 folds, hero raises to 65, UTG folds, MP1 calls 50, MP3 raises to 175, ... hero?

MP3 can do some pretty unusual things, but with the 2 draws out there I believe that he would have raised a really huge hand after the initial MP1 bet to protect himself, he can be pretty random though. As I'm debating with my pair+FD, I see MP1 playing with a tall stack of $5 chips. Sometimes that means that he doesn't want me to come back over the top and he'll fold if I do, but in this case I doubt it, because if he's calling the 175 he's calling my push. I'm worried that either MP3 or MP1 could decided to go all the way with a bigger flush draw, or even the chance that MP1 is playing top 2 pair, which means I'm drawing to only flush outs. Do I have to lay this down, and is there a better way to get the pot than how I've played it here? (i.e. bet/3bet)
Old 08-13-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Badly Played \"combo\" Draw - 2-5NL

i don't raise AT9 board with combo draws since you don't have FE. I raise them for value (which you have none). I would be happy checking behind,
Old 08-13-2007, 03:14 PM

I see. I thought I was semi-bluffing, in which case I would raise for a chance to take down the $60 pot, but if I get called I still have an out to win the hand. I thought I had plenty of FE against a weak ace, and perhaps even a straight draw, is this wrong?
I didn't really intend to bet for value.

(Also, by checking behind I assume you just mean calling the $15 on the flop.)
Old 08-13-2007, 05:35 PM

You are still drawing to 11 outs against AT : 9 outs of the FD + 2 outs for the remaining two 9. If one of them has AT/AA/TT/99 and the other one has a FD and the other one a made hand you are in deep trouble. If you think none of them has a FD and both will call a AI just push you have the odds. Though decision anyway.

Just remember one think when playing FD, fastplaying FD is a good thing when you are heads up, when it's a 3 way or more you don't need to fast play FD because you have the odds.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just remember one think when playing FD, fastplaying FD is a good thing when you are heads up, when it's a 3 way or more you don't need to fast play FD because you have the odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree with you more, if I have the nut or 2nd nut draw. In this spot I'm not sure I have the odds, because if another diamond peels off after a few people have called a flop bet I can't push my hand. They may very well have a bigger flush and I'd have to fold if raised even after I make my hand.
However, if I raise I may fold out a FD, or get heads-up with a FD that doesn't have a pair, which wouldn't be so bad.
Is this type of thinking terrible, or is there some merit to it?