Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Live game staking

I staked a player in a live cash game in Vegas for the first time the other night. I have done this before for tournaments but never for cash games. The situation was I bought him into the cash game. He played only my money, and we agreed to a splitting the results either way along a set percentage. My question is what percentage do most people think is fair? Also are there are ethical dilemmas if we end up on the same table? I would obviously still play my game, and he would play his, but if in the back of your mind you still know you are getting a percentage of his winnings it may effect your play. Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Live game staking

Any make-up involved?
Old 05-26-2007, 09:35 PM

Isn't 70% (staker) and 30% (player) of winnings the standard in tournaments?
Old 05-26-2007, 11:05 PM

id say dont do it, there has been a lot of horror stories i heard about and I myself got screwed what i thought was a "sure thing" and was my worse poker decision of my career.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would obviously still play my game, and he would play his, but if in the back of your mind you still know you are getting a percentage of his winnings it may effect your play.

[/ QUOTE ]

correction: it WILL affect your play.

If you are getting 30% of another player's winnings, your pot odds and implied odds are significantly altered if that other player is in the pot with you. The situation becomes one of *effective collusion*, even if the two of you aren't directly coordinating your actions with each other. The math will do the coordinating for you.

This is a BAD thing for poker, and it is one reason I avoid lag-fest games like the plague.

q/q
Old 05-27-2007, 03:10 AM

this is a disaster in the making. I have done this with "can't miss 2p2 friends, and now wish I could just buy into the WSOP 2007 with the "cant miss money". Just don't do it not matter how sure it seems.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:41 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
I staked a player in a live cash game in Vegas for the first time the other night.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are still a lot of things about poker that I don't understand and this is one of them. How can it possibly be a good idea to stake someone in a cash game? If they are broke, doesn't that tell you they aren't as good as they think they are?

I could understand if one of your friends that you know is good for the money needed a buyin and if I was a serious tourney player, I would want to trade a small piece of my action to some other trustworthy players to reduce variance, but I can't understand how staking a broke cash game players can possibly be a good idea.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:03 AM

Friend has enough money, but currently moved to Las Vegas. I have known him for a long time, and consider him a strong player. However, he made a resolution that he wouldn't gamble at all until he was set up with a job down here. He has the money to play(as evidenced by his frequent massage parlor trips) he just doesn't want to . I wanted to go play, but due to his resolution he said he wouldn't, then I offered the stake. As to the earlier posters who said that it is not good to play on the same table I think I agree. It would feel akward and if any players on the table found out they would probably cry foul.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:08 AM

I agree, staking for a cash game is bad idea.

Someone could easily fubar you with better deal with another player if they are desperate enough... Chip dumping ploy comes to mind.

Now if I had loads of cash, sure I'd stake out a TRUSTED (REAL) friend who was a good player, who is only marginal on bankroll due to NON-gambling/drugs/Poker reasons. (AKA S.O. leakage [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

If I did that, I'd want to just double my $, and long run payoff on my end would be fine, so he can double his current BR and give me 1/3, rinse and repeat until I have 2x what I invested.

So example: Gave 9,000, he gets to 18,000 hands me 6,000, has 12,000 gets to 24,000, hands me 6000, has 18,000, gets to 36000 hands me 6,000, we are done, thanks bud.
He now has 30,000 BR... I have 18,000... Hey, it could happen? LOL!

Best I could come up with off the top of my weary head at 5am.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:00 AM

i would go 50/50