Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: WSOP: Incompetent Dealers Could Decide Outcome

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
as long as the floor makes good calls things will be alright. not good, but alright.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a problem last year...the floor made some horrendous rulings. Anyway, we'll see.

I have come to realize that Harrah's is just a very poorly run organization, and it's simply too bad that they own the rights to the WSOP, because in another company's hands, the tournament would be better. There are a lot of good people who work (or, like OP, want to work for WSOP/Harrah's) but they wind up caught in the same runaround that Harrah's customers are stuck in.

Anyone jumping on OP should realize he's doing us players a huge favor by revealing the BS that goes on behind the scenes of the biggest tournament festival of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly which games are they teaching the newbie dealers, HE or all of them? It's hard enough to get good dealers at NL or limit HE, but add into the mix PL, and many more non-HE events and it could be a real mess. Last year in the razz event, the dealer at my table tried to deal a FLOP on the first hand. He said he had never dealt razz before, and only dealt stud once or twice.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody cares. Newbie dealers at the WSOP are usually better than 75% of the regular dealers in Vegas. The reason is that the newbies are nervous and want to do their job well. So after about 20 minutes of on the job training from players at the table, the dealers are fairly efficient. The players just have to help out with complicated stuff like side-pots and what happens if someone goes busto! in their blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boris, I hope this post is one big example of 8th-level sarcasm, because you seem way too smart to endorse any system that necessitates "on the job training" by customers. Also, you really saying that newbie dealers are going to be "better than 75%" of Bellagio dealers? Because I beg to differ.

In any case, I am totally nonplussed anytime I become aware of the way Harrah's does business. The horrid experience I had while staying at Caesar's last week ensured that I will never stay at a Harrah's property ever again if I can avoid it, and the way they run the WSOP is a total [censored] insult to their customers and employees alike. (Of course I'll still play).
Old 05-07-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you be happier if they let you audition and THEN told you they don't want you? You can't make them hire you.

Yeah, Harrah's sucks. That's not news. Yeah, last year's WSOP dealers were not all stellar. Also not news.

But I do agree Harrah's screwed up here. It's SERIOUSLY impolite to advertise as they did a specific time period for auditions and then close early. And last I looked, they haven't updated the web pages so the only way to know they weren't still auditioning woulda been to call 'em before you visited--well, that or visit 2+2 and see the previous discussions of this topic.

If they were serious about hiring quality, they would have given immediate offers to the A's and maybe B's and told the C's they'd hear back after the end of the audition period.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two years ago they had an even worse procedure. They were auditioning dealers for months, all by a guy named Johnny Moss -- no relation)

I often played the morning tourney at the Rio and was often there during the auditons. Many many breakins with no skilss anohnny was hiring them all.

Well not very long before the event they fired Mr. Moss. The new people who took over the job of staffing the event found themselves with hundreds of hired breakins (Many of the experienced dealers hadn't bothered to seek employment that early since that wasn't the general practice). Did these people call up all these breakins and tell them that they weren't needed?

No -- They hired the usual crew on top of all the breakins. then when the breakins -- many of whom traveled cross country to get here, quit jobs, turned down other opportunities, showed up they were ushered into a room and told they weren't needed. Thats right, let these people quit jobs, move cross country for a job you told them they had and then say gee we are sorry we don't need you.

I was hired for the WSOP 2005 three times. And everytime someone lost the paperwork an would have to start the process all over. Two days before the first event I received a call and was told they had a spot for me, come down the next morning to see thealer coordinator. So I show up and find out they have 1 slot left, one guy told me I had it, someone else hired another etc. So there were 5 of us there for 1 job.ince i had another job anyway, I decided to walk away because these other people had no other employment.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:47 PM

I'll be used to this; I played EPT Warsaw! Bring it on!

Ryan
Old 05-07-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as long as the floor makes good calls things will be alright. not good, but alright.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well last year the floor was much weaker than the dealers. I think there were two issues. One they weren't getting a piece of the tips -- straight hourly only so they didn't care. And second many of them were just incompetent.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a problem last year...the floor made some horrendous rulings. Anyway, we'll see.

I have come to realize that Harrah's is just a very poorly run organization, and it's simply too bad that they own the rights to the WSOP, because in another company's hands, the tournament would be better. There are a lot of good people who work (or, like OP, want to work for WSOP/Harrah's) but they wind up caught in the same runaround that Harrah's customers are stuck in.

Anyone jumping on OP should realize he's doing us players a huge favor by revealing the BS that goes on behind the scenes of the biggest tournament festival of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly which games are they teaching the newbie dealers, HE or all of them? It's hard enough to get good dealers at NL or limit HE, but add into the mix PL, and many more non-HE events and it could be a real mess. Last year in the razz event, the dealer at my table tried to deal a FLOP on the first hand. He said he had never dealt razz before, and only dealt stud once or twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey i did that too, but thats a common mistake since you find yourself dealing holdem so often that you just find yourself getting used to it. You see the antes in the middle of the table and it feels like you just brought in the preflop bets.

Once i got used to dealing stud it came back to me. hell one table in the stud 8 tournament told me I was the best dealer they saw all day (I took that to mean I was the first adequate dealer, not that I was particularly good). And I also had never dealt Razz before, but i had dealt Stud High Low 8.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey i did that too, but thats a common mistake since you find yourself dealing holdem so often that you just find yourself getting used to it. You see the antes in the middle of the table and it feels like you just brought in the preflop bets.

Once i got used to dealing stud it came back to me. hell one table in the stud 8 tournament told me I was the best dealer they saw all day (I took that to mean I was the first adequate dealer, not that I was particularly good). And I also had never dealt Razz before, but i had dealt Stud High Low 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well with 3 HORSE events this year, I'd bone up on both of them [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2007, 05:20 PM

I heard that the time charges in Warsaw were like $100/hour and collected in advance 2 hours ... so you start out stuck $200 or the Euro equivalent.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well with 3 HORSE events this year, I'd bone up on both of them [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not stupid enough to join up again. I learned my lesson last year.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:41 PM

I auditioned for the wsop a few weeks ago. I have 4 years dealing experience and was rated an A dealer, and told by the interviewers that I would be needed for sure. Ever since this I have been playing phone tag and nothing has happened. The wsop floor told me they wanted me to be in Vegas for my first day of work on May 15th. Still haven't got a difinitive answer either way. I still plan on moving down, but if I don't get the job I will most likely play poker instead. My original plan was to spend half my time dealing and half playing so this isn't all bad, just posting to give you an idea of how poorly run it actually is. Also it is true that many of the dealers being hired did not know how to pitch cards, read hands, or what pot limit meant. I figure 1 or 2 weeks or training and then keep them only on the 2-4 limit hold em tables, no harm no foul.