Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 02:39 AM

Default Re: What I did...

[ QUOTE ]
Nate betting out seems fine if you intend to 3bet a button raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I bet, the BB calls, and the Button raises, then I'm certainly 3-betting, because the best case is that I can get the BB to make an incorrect fold, and the worst case is that I'm collecting fair share equity on my draw 3-ways.

I don't know whether there are the same incentives to 3-bet if it gets heads up. The problems I see here are as follows:

1) Although I suspect that I am probably a coinflip or a slight favorite against his range when he raises the flop, I doubt that's the case if he chooses to make it four bets, or (worse) he calls and raises the turn.

2) I think it tends to make the river play problematic if I do not improve. If he just calls my 3-bet and the turn goes bet-call, then there is very little point to my betting out on the river. He probably isn't calling with worse (although a Q-high calldown would not shock me) and he probably isn't folding better -- he certainly isn't folding a pair, and I think he's probably smart enough to treat a better king-high hand as a bluff-catcher on this board (which means among other things that he'd probably not raise the flop with it in the first place). OTOH, if I check the river after leading the flop/turn, I think he might take the hint that I'm trying for a free showdown and will play fairly optimally. Put differently, I actually want him to think that I have a draw here, and to continue betting his whatever in order to fold out a draw, because he doesn't know that my draw happens to have pretty good showdown value.

3) If behind, he generally only has 4 outs and he will usually charge himself to draw to these outs anyway. In addition, there is some incentive to let him draw to cards that make me a flush but make him a pair or -- if I'm exceptionally lucky -- some kind of straight.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:54 AM

Default Re: What I did...

Sorry, I meant that you should 3bet the flop if the BB comes along. If it gets HU with the button, then going passive looks good. Also if BB raises, going passive makes sense.