Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 12-01-2007, 08:47 AM

Default Re: How have you taken advantage of being a poker pro?

moved to Melbourne, have way more money / investments now and spend a lot of time on Music which is my number one passion so that's good. Also exercising physically; way happier than i was 10 months ago... I have completely isolated myself from the world however, and most my time is spent playing music, watching tv, going to gym, and trying to avoid going back to the rollercoaster of drugs cigarettes and alcohol that is so easy to fall into when u have 0 commitments to anything. I'm doing pretty well though.

ATM I want to get good enough to play jazz piano to live audiences, and play in a rock band (preferably guitar). I feel like within the next year bigger things will start happening, I am certainly trying to make them happen.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:39 AM

I enjoyed your story last time around, good to see you have things more smoothly now.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
moved to Melbourne, have way more money / investments now and spend a lot of time on Music which is my number one passion so that's good. Also exercising physically; way happier than i was 10 months ago... I have completely isolated myself from the world however, and most my time is spent playing music, watching tv, going to gym, and trying to avoid going back to the rollercoaster of drugs cigarettes and alcohol that is so easy to fall into when u have 0 commitments to anything. I'm doing pretty well though.

ATM I want to get good enough to play jazz piano to live audiences, and play in a rock band (preferably guitar). I feel like within the next year bigger things will start happening, I am certainly trying to make them happen.

[/ QUOTE ]
I missed MagicNinja's story first time around. That was some crazy shiet. And congrats on a new beginning.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:49 PM

Funny, I'm in a similar position, though I don't make the big money playing poker. I quit my job in marketing 2.5 years ago, figuring that with poker and some money I came into, I could survive for a while while I try to get my music together.

I've been playing guitar for many years but never took it super serious. Aside from an 8 month lapse this year due to substance abuse problems, I've managed to practice 4+ hours a day and have noticed a rather dramatic improvement in my knowledge and ability. This is after playing for 18 years. Learning jazz improv is very difficult (for a rock/blues guy), but I've steadily been making improvements due to focused study of learning materials. I haven't played a jazz gig yet, but already my lifelong dream of becoming an awesome guitar player is coming true.

However, I know it is not an easy life trying to make a living as a performer. So I'm looking into graduate programs in music education to see if I could perhaps teach. At this point I'm sort of unsure of my future which is somewhat troubling. I could try to improve my poker skills in the hopes of making a decent living, but I've found that society has no respect for this "profession" and tend to lump poker players in the same category as drug dealers.

At least that's my experience. I generally keep my poker life to myself. I find it difficult to answer the question of what I do for a living.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since I discovered poker quite a bit later in life than most of the players here (I'm 27 now, and didn't start playing until after college), poker has mostly been a pragmatic thing for me. It's helped me pay off a lot of debt, pay for a wedding last September, and buy a house.

The biggest thing that it's allowing me to do right now is work on starting a coffeeshop with my wife. It's something that she's been doing for years -- managing and working as a barista (no, not at Starbucks) -- and an industry that both she and I love.

I'm definitely hoping it doesn't completely fade away in the short term, but even if it has, it's been a great thing.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm in the exact same boat (let's get together!) in terms of age, stage of life, and when i started playing poker. I've never put in that many hours, or moved up that much in stakes, so I'm still basically a very part-time mid-stakes grinder. But poker has allowed me to pay for a beautiful wedding, buy a gorgeous engagement ring, go on an incredible honeymoon, buy a near-perfect condo, and go on fun vacations every year with my wife. So it hasn't really let me do anything that I wouldn't have done anyways, probably, but it has allowed me to do all of the things that I wanted to do a lot nice and better.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:31 PM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

Didn't read this thread first time around. Inspirational stuff.

I'm older than most (37) and already had a career going as a custom home builder when I started getting serious about poker. Poker has always been a very nice addition to my income, enough to live on if I had to, but not enough to pull me away from my company.

This year my poker income has become several times my regular income which has me considering a similar lifestyle of some of the posters in this thread. I'm not married, no kids and really not very materialistic, so I don't have a ton of stuff tying me down.

Even though I'm a bankroll (and lifestyle) nit, I find it a scary thought living only on poker. On the other hand, I've spent my entire adult life workign my ass off, why not see the world for a couple of years? What's the worst that could happen?

Hopefully I'll find the balls in the next year to make the jump.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:08 PM

Sounds like you could always fall back on your career. Why don't you take time off to travel and do whatever you want and then play poker as much or as little as you want. Play more if you want more money, play less if you want less stress and more free time.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:49 AM

Made enough money to pay for college while still in HS.
Never had a real job.
Traveled to New York, San Diego and Vegas.
Never worry about money and started investing for the future.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:25 AM

I'll let you know in two months.