Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2007, 02:15 PM

Default possibly a horrible nitty play......advice

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1433957

alright its a 60 dollar 45 man turbo, top 7 pay..im currenlty 1 of 7 with 20k in chips which is a very solid stack...blinds at 600/1200 with antes

im dealt aq offsuit 7 handed which is a very good hand but i probalby play horrible here i am not sure.....a semidecent reg i think raises half his 9k stack from utg+1..i just can not see him doing this with aj or kq for the life of me.....that would be an instapush with that kind of hand imo not a raise half your stack hand....seems to me this is a race at best in the purest sense of the saying.....so i muck....

do i absoltuely suck honestly ..i mean i like where i am now i dont feel like risking chips here when i think i can abuse most of the players at my table it was a pretty weak table for the most part lots of the regs like alesanre, quasifictino, entropy, etc were not present
Old 09-01-2007, 05:12 PM

Default Re: possibly a horrible nitty play......advice

I muck
Old 09-01-2007, 06:41 PM

I stick it in here. You say he can't have AJ or KQ. Can he have QQ+? I doubt it, and you are getting odds from the blinds and antes. If you think his range is mostly pps, you could always stop and go and hope he makes a bad fold.

But I've seen weird raises like this from all kinds of weird crap before: people get fancy when they have a stack this size, trying to get extra fold equity (and obviously here he got it). I would just push and wouldn't think twice about it.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:56 PM

This is a clear muck. I've won several of these things (brag) and I've noticed that they are ALL about fold equity. Yeah, they're all-in fests because of the rapidly escalating blinds, but any decent tournament hold'em player knows that showdowns are death, especially when you're all in preflop, so they should be avoided at all costs. Here you know that you have no fold equity, and given the strong nature of both the raise and the raiser, you are racing AT BEST. So putting him all in is marginal EV at best. The correct move is to fold here and just keep taking shots at the blinds, which keeps your stack healthy with minimal risk. Trust me, at least 4 people will bust in the next two orbits, so why do you need to play a pot for half your stack?
Old 09-01-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I stick it in here. You say he can't have AJ or KQ. Can he have QQ+? I doubt it, and you are getting odds from the blinds and antes. If you think his range is mostly pps, you could always stop and go and hope he makes a bad fold.

But I've seen weird raises like this from all kinds of weird crap before: people get fancy when they have a stack this size, trying to get extra fold equity (and obviously here he got it). I would just push and wouldn't think twice about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 09-02-2007, 02:46 AM

Butcho,
Working on your evg impressions?

Anyway with a reasonable range it is clearly +cEV. After running it through SNGPT however, its a clear fold, unless he's raising real real wide, like any ace etc.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Butcho,
Working on your evg impressions?

Anyway with a reasonable range it is clearly +cEV. After running it through SNGPT however, its a clear fold, unless he's raising real real wide, like any ace etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what "evg" means, but I found your post rather funny. Seems like you figured out you were wrong on your own.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:17 AM

Somewhere, on the opposite side of the universe, someone is acting like less of a worthless bastard.