Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 04:28 AM

Default WSOP TR part 3, The Devil in Miss Elizabeth

WSOP report part 3, The Devil in Miss Elizabeth, events 3 and 5
After a quick day 2 bust out in the 5k event (that was highly uneventful seeing as I won zero chips and had nothing even close to a debatable situation) I was looking forward to what promised to be a very soft field in the Sunday $1500 PL holdem event.

My first time was highly chatty and active, with lots of limping, raising, and people stacking each other by being TOTALLY incapable of folding big pairs no matter how god awful the board was for them. I went from 3000 to 4500ish in the following hand 8 handed:

UTG folds, utg+1 calls, I call for 50 with JTss, 1 more caller, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: As 9h Td
checks to me and I fire 175 seeing as 3 of 4 seemed very unlikely for an A having checked, and the other limpers range is huge. It folds around to the open limper, who calls.
Turn: 9s
He checks, I check back.
River: 7s, he bets 250, I raise to 800, he calls and shows AQo. Nice open limp/flop check sir.

I get moved to my 2nd table which is the same spaz fest and a round or two look down at AA. A very bad/spewy player limps for 100, I make it 400, folds to him and he calls.

Flop: Q 9 4 rainbow
he checks I fire 750, he deliberates and calls.

Turn:
He bets 2000, I jam 1200 more, he calls showing AQ and I double to 9k. Wow people love open limping AQ live. I get my stack close to 10k when the following hand comes up vs the same awful villain.
I am UTG+1 holding QQ and raise 75/150 blinds to 450. A average/badish player with also a largish stack of like 8 or 9k calls, and the bad player in the BB with about 3400 pots it, I re pot it, the other player folds (his AK) and the BB calls off the tiny amount that wasn’t in. He shows 66. Two players admit to having folded a 6. Awesome.
Board: 2 7 9 5………….8
Charming. Back to about 7ish. I play numerous small pots then find a way to get some of my chips back from the spewtard (who had obv already shipped back half to the rest of the table.
I hold 75dd at 75/150 with about 7500. UTG limps, I limp behind, 2 more limpers, SB completes, BB (spewer) checks. I don’t think this limp is feasible/profitable in most online tournaments, in this one considering nobody liked open raising, I’m pretty sure it is.
Flop: 7s 7h 8s
SB checks, BB bets out like 400, utg folds, I make it 1400, folds back to him, he jams, I call. He turns over 9T for a very much so draw, but blanks twice and I get back to 10k. Right about then I got moved tables.

I stroll over to my new table and lo and behold in seat 10 is the scourage of NVG, Shannon Elizabeth. She’s sitting with a fairly short stack, and obviously has numerous people coming over to update her stack. When she enters a pot almost assuredly some jackass with an annoying accent will say something when she bets/raises like “aww hell, yer to purty to knock out, u can have it.” She seemed nice/talkative enough though, and managed not to angle shoot anyone. This table again was extremely weak outside a solid internet player on my right, who’s online handle was something like ‘johnster’, he seemed like a cool guy. I play various small pots at this table, and lose a few chips with JJ to what I believe to be a big pair, which I will post in HSMTT. It’s been hard to find hands to post because they are often very straight forward or against total morons so very little thought process is involved. I was playing moderately loose though by no means raising every hand, and the player to my left had a huge stack and was super weak with open limps. He probably limped roughly 2/3 times a round. Unfortunately, he also reraised me pot 3 times when I opened, and showed AA twice. I know he was not bluffing the time he didn’t show. Phil Hellmuth was on the table to our left, and at one point leaped from his chair throwing it over screaming “GAAAAAAAAAHD!! HOW MANY BEATS ARE YOU GUYS GONNA PUT ON ME!??!! GAAAAAAHD!”

At this point I decided to recant what is one of the most popular stories amongst Madison poker players, perhaps Badgerpro has heard this one if he’s played some of the older guy bar games. Back in the 80’s at a cash game Phil was acting like his usual sense and one regular who’d just had enough lept up and hit him square in the face, laying Phil out over a pool table. This story comes up at least once a game, the guy who hit him is in his 40’s now and I’m pretty sure it’s the proudest moment of his life.
I continue to play and lose small pots, with no real significant or interesting spots. With no antes it really wasn’t that appropriate to play excessively loose, though I still stole blinds from a couple of the weakest players on my left. A bit later with about 9k, I raised the 1/3 blinds to 800 with KQo in MP2 or 3, and the young short stack from the JJ hand I’ll post jammed for like 1800 total a couple spots behind. Folds to me, I call, and he flips up JTss quoting “well, I can’t wait forever” He turns a flush and I’m knocked close to 7k. A couple hands later at 1/3 blinds utg limps. It folds to me in MP with AdTd and I had to deliberate. UTG has limped a couple times before, but never utg, and he seemed to be kinda considering raising then settling on limping. My stack felt awkward for raising, but folding seemed nity, so I limped back. The guy behind me limps, then the short stack with 600 behind him goes all in. Shannon calls, the SB calls, folds, UTG calls and its back to me. At this point I’m now sure UTG doesn’t have it as he woulda iso’d so I pot it. Everyone folds out (obv) and I have the short stack all in, unfortunately he has JJ. Then two guys admit to folding A’s. Awesome. The table looks at me like I’m crazy. Tony Ma in seat one goes “what are you doing!??” I roll my eyes and say “indeed, what am I doing?”
“What ARE you doing?” he repeats. I laugh at him, he laughs at me, and the J’s hold. Tony Ma apparently has a reputation for giving dealers a hard time, and his shot at me would not be forgotten.
A round or two later a hand is dealt out and there is action in progress. As they are close to going to the flop, the dealer drops a card in the muck and fails to realize it, then it gets mixed in. Tony Ma remarks “wait, there’s an extra card in the muck!!” The dealer asks if anyone saw the card, they did not. He asks if anyone knows which it is, they don’t. Since little can be done, there’s already been action, and nobody has seen the card, the dealer is about to deal the flop but Tony Ma insists on stopping the action and getting a floor ruling. As a guy who normally 8 tables online with zero stoppage, having some [censored] halt the game so he can get a ruling that is a 1 billion % foregone conclusion is incredibly annoying. The floor comes over, asks the obvious questions, then says “well guys, sorry, but given that theirs action we’re just gonna have to deal it, hope that’s not a huge deal.”
I look up at him and with a half smile say “Sir, I am outraged” the table laughs but he takes me serious “You are?” I break into laughter, “no I’m not serious man. If I’m outraged at anything it’s that some jerk off can call you over for a totally foregone conclusion when you very likely have better things to do.” The table laughs, the dealer laughs, the floorman laughs, but Tony Ma is unamused.

A bit after this “Devil Fish” David Ulliot came over to the table and began blatantly hitting on Shannon Elizabeth and asking her to come to dinner. She at first begins with some excuse about perhaps still being in the tournament, not sure when we’re getting done, even though they had already told us. He continues to spit his game, telling her about the various places he’ll take her. She seems to reluctantly agree, and says “why don’t you give me your number, and I’ll call you when I’m all set here.” He gives it to her and she punches it in to her phone. Hmm, I seem to recall this trick from my single days. Well done Devil Fish, I certainly hope at your age I still have the stamina to be tournament poker player, and a guy who harasses C movie stars half my age for what will be an incredibly awkward and platonic evening.

After the Devilfish leaves, I witnessed what was the two most retarded folds I’ve ever seen in my life IN THE SAME [censored] HAND. The action goes as follows. A short stack on the CO raises to 800, Shannon calls on the button, SB folds, BB calls.
Flop: Jh 9c 3h
BB checks, short stack bets pot leaving himself 300 chips. Shannon then calls, then looks over at his stack and goes “oh, oops, if I’d known you only had 300 left I would have just put you in, sorry.” The BB also calls.
Turn: 5h
The BB leads 2000. The shortstack deliberates THEN FOLDS. “Might be a bad play” he says “but I’m still in the tournament.” 4 to 1 this guy wins a bracelet before me. Now on to Shannon, who thinks things over and shoves for 3000 more. The BB looks saddened, then lifts his cards up to look at them. The guy on his left catches a look and his eyes nearly explode. The BB reluctantly folds, and Shannon drags a nice pot. The guy on his left FREAKS, “he just folded a queen high flush!!” The table looks at him and he shrugs, mumbling something about probably being beat. Shannon thinks he’s lying until we tell her the guy on the left actually saw it. She finds this quite enjoyable.
A round or two later the blinds go up to 200/400 and I have around 5500. It folds to the hijack, captain fold Q high flush, who raises to 1200. It folds to me in the BB with AKo, and I repot for most of my stack. He goes all in and flips up AKhh.
Flop: 8d Th Qh
turn: 6h
Awesome. GG ladies and gents, at least I was busted by a true expert who completely outplayed me.
I get to sleep at a good hour that night after a cigar and drinks with friends, and wake up fairly refreshed for today’s 1500 limit event.

Could I write up a whole bunch of fairly pointless and straight forward hands from the limit tournament? Sure, but it wouldn’t be very interesting. I faced almost zero real decisions outside one hand where I made a thin turn value bet on a scary board and checked back on the river deciding it was very unlikely a worse hand called 2 bets and there was a [censored] ton that beat me, and my hand was good. I managed to fairly quickly 3X my stack again trough finding some good hands (AA for good pot, two pair) and playing tight. In limit tournaments, your ability to be creative is almost zero, and in ones where people play bad and hand you chips by constantly flat calling out of position or open limping you just can’t get that out of line. My descent started when I raised AA in EP, and the BB was only caller.
Flop: K 8 2, with two hearts and I had Ah
Check/bet/raise/3 bet/call.
Turn: 5h
he donk bets, I call.
River: Td
He bets, I call he shows 79hh.

Later I raised AKo utg+2, and MP2 3 bet me (“Sooners” online, a very nice and fun guy at the table) and it folded around, I 4 bet he called.
Flop: 8 7 6 two clubs, I have none
I bet he raises I call
Turn: 5c
I check he bets I fold.

After that nothing interesting happened in the least. As Sooner’s can tell you if he replies I basically lost my chips a little at a time, raising pre and perhaps being 3 bet and whiffing completely, paying blinds, etc.
I went bust by raising AQ at 1400 to 600 at 150/300 in MP1 and an aggro player on my left made it 3 bets. It folded back to me and its obv going in so I make it 4 bets, he calls, and I bet the rest in the dark. He calls with 99 and it holds and that’s another GG no cash thanks and GL guys.

So I’m 3 events and 8k in and so far zero cashes in what has been very weak fields, so it’s a little frustrating considering how easy it is to go deep once a day online. Tomorrow is the 1k holdem rebuys which had 450 entrants when I went to the booth tonight so should be huge/weak field. Hopefully I get to some monsterous spew monkey like Negreanu’s table and am the benefactor of his 48 rebuys or whatever sick amount he does. So that’s all in this major TL DR trip report, I’ll write the next in a couple days after various interesting [censored] has happened.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:51 AM

Default Re: WSOP TR part 3, The Devil in Miss Elizabeth

Where's the devil part?

Nice post again, wowzers the field in the PLHE seemed bad...you'll get there man!
Old 06-05-2007, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where's the devil part?

Nice post again, wowzers the field in the PLHE seemed bad...you'll get there man!

[/ QUOTE ]

David "Devilfish" Ulliot came over to the table and made an arse of himself. Are you going to enjoy my clever yet movie references in titles by blending them with actual happenings or not Soulman?
Old 06-05-2007, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Where's the devil part?

[/ QUOTE ]

David "Devilfish" Ulliot came over to the table and made an arse of himself. Are you going to enjoy my clever yet movie references in titles by blending them with actual happenings or not Soulman?

[/ QUOTE ]
asfkasfkasdkaskdasd, I blame 1 hour's sleep after a 30 hour writathon. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Devilfish seems like such a total and utter creep, ugh.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:05 AM

enjoyed reading that. keep it up.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:59 AM

QQ vs. 66 is brutal. And AK eugh.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:14 AM

Devilfish is cool guy and a redic sick pool player. Watched many sick trick shots on the table in the vip lounge.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:00 AM

LOL @ Devilfish story, brilliant.

BTW the way I deal with the slow play is to think "Well, I'm used to 200 hands/hour. Whether we get 30 or 20 here, it's still ridiculously slow either way, so meh".
Old 06-05-2007, 07:27 AM

Did devilfish play with her ear like pokerwire Amanda
Old 06-05-2007, 07:39 AM

awesome read, great thread title too