Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Difference between your Online and B&M game?

The biggest difference between online and live for me is the games I play. I rarely play NLHE online and I rarely play Triple Draw live. So, I guess I have to vary my play a lot. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some live players need a crash course in personal hygiene, so bring a nose plug, mints, gum, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. I sat down at an awesome cash table (well, as awesome as $2-5 can be) and my eyes were watering from some guy that bathed in BenGay for some kind of back injury he would not shut up about. I was able to tuneout the whining with my iPod, but the BenGay was pretty overwhelming.

Fortunately, BenGay Guy went away after about 45 minutes. But then I went to another poker room to play in a tournament and got seated next to AfterShave Man and Patchouli Dude. Damn.

After the tourney I went back to play cash and guess who I got seated next to? Slurring Scotch-on-the-Rocks Guy. I caught a buzz just from his breath. And why is it the more some one's breath reeks of booze the closer they need to be to your face when they talk to you?

There's nothing quite like live poker. The sights, the sounds, the smells.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably could handle ben gay or a strong aftershave or something....I sat next to an older gentleman in a 1/2nl game a few weeks ago & he absolutely reeked. Finally my nose figured out that it was a combination of b.o. & piss. Ewww. The first seat that came open, I took it.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:43 PM

I got the flu a couple of times. Once the dealer sat down sniffling and red faced. Sure enough the next day so was I. Now I try to use a hand cleaner and wash after I get up.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No kidding. I sat down at an awesome cash table (well, as awesome as $2-5 can be) and my eyes were watering from some guy that bathed in BenGay for some kind of back injury he would not shut up about. I was able to tuneout the whining with my iPod, but the BenGay was pretty overwhelming.

Fortunately, BenGay Guy went away after about 45 minutes. But then I went to another poker room to play in a tournament and got seated next to AfterShave Man and Patchouli Dude. Damn.

After the tourney I went back to play cash and guess who I got seated next to? Slurring Scotch-on-the-Rocks Guy. I caught a buzz just from his breath. And why is it the more some one's breath reeks of booze the closer they need to be to your face when they talk to you?

There's nothing quite like live poker. The sights, the sounds, the smells.....

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the very few things to like about my smoking: I'm less susceptible to the stench of Patchouli Guy.

By the way, what was some hippie doing in a cardroom?
Old 10-05-2007, 03:18 PM

He had more of a Unabomber / Hunter S. Thompson thing going than the hippie thing. That guy was a riot.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:55 PM

I just feel much more confident making aggressive moves online than I do in a poker room. That's the main difference. Somebody above mentioned game selection. I play alot of OH8 online, and I've never even played Omaha live.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just feel much more confident making aggressive moves online than I do in a poker room. That's the main difference. Somebody above mentioned game selection. I play alot of OH8 online, and I've never even played Omaha live.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your first and last sentences are strongly related. The first time I played in a live room, I was so nervous I could barely get the chips out of my stack and into the middle. The nervousness makes it easy to play weak-tight, because you don't yet have the live experience to relax and play correctly.

When I first started playing live, I found it easier to relax when I consciously broke down a hand, and imagined the events taking place on a virtual table. Once I was able to visualize it as an online game, I could make the right decisions and start to relax. Well, until showdown anyway.

And that brings us to the biggest difference between live & online for me: online, I can tell my monitor exactly what I think of someone else's play. Live, I have to smile and say either "nice hand, sir" or "aww, I just got lucky" depending on who wins.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:10 PM

Yeah. Internet poker is like a long drive in your car with the windows rolled up. Live poker is like a long drive on your motorcycle. The cow pastures take on a whole new significance.

ps 7CS is easier online in terms of remembering what cards are dead. Don't have to move your head, don't miss quick folders.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ps 7CS is easier online in terms of remembering what cards are dead. Don't have to move your head, don't miss quick folders.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, I find live board games much easier than online to remember cards. Only thing I have to do to adjust is stand up a bit more often to get a birds eye view.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:53 PM

I play 50NL online and 300NL live, and while I "think" i am a better player online, my win rate is much better live. For me, I think the games are much softer live, (at my stakes) I usually can just go bear hunting and know I will get paid off on my good hands. Online, I feel people pay attention more and use more complex betting.