Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Poker Tables

My opinions:

1. For 9/10 players, I think you need an oval table at least 84" long.

2. I prefer "speed cloth".

3. Use 100% plastic playing cards like Copag. You can easily slide one the length of the table (with speed cloth) when dealing.

4. Get jumbo index cards, they are easier to read from the other end of the table.

5. I personally don't like the wooden racetrack between the rail and the felt. Too much chip ruffling noise, too difficult to lift the card edges, can get sticky, etc.

6. I have found the best drinkholder to be the plastic ones with a tongue that you can anchor by sliding it under the rail near your chipstack.

7. If storage is a concern, the lower end ovals can come in a fold-in-half design with folding legs.

I can't imagine how big an octagon table would have to be to hold 10 players.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My opinions:

1. For 9/10 players, I think you need an oval table at least 84" long.

2. I prefer "speed cloth".

3. Use 100% plastic playing cards like Copag. You can easily slide one the length of the table (with speed cloth) when dealing.

4. Get jumbo index cards, they are easier to read from the other end of the table.

5. I personally don't like the wooden racetrack between the rail and the felt. Too much chip ruffling noise, too difficult to lift the card edges, can get sticky, etc.

6. I have found the best drinkholder to be the plastic ones with a tongue that you can anchor by sliding it under the rail near your chipstack.

7. If storage is a concern, the lower end ovals can come in a fold-in-half design with folding legs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed on almost all fronts. I'm not big on the jumbo index cards, but that's a personal preference issue. Your reasoning does make a lot of sense. And as for drink holders, I prefer the cups cut into the rail. If your table allows for the holders you describe, however, those are very nice.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not big on the jumbo index cards, but that's a personal preference issue.

[/ QUOTE ]
Quite true. However, I got my parents (late 60s) a nice set of Copag bridge size jumbo index. They both said they didn't need their reading glasses to play bridge any more. (Lol, I know that probably doesn't apply to you).

As a second however, I too wasn't a fan until my local poker buddies starting using, then I got a set and now, the regular index cards look strange to me.

My number one plus for them is seeing the board cards at the other end of the (oval) table.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think something like this would be a bad idea? I like the idea of having 1 person deal for a limited time and then switch seats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somehow I missed this image the first time through.

This is a nicer version of two of my tables. I like them a lot. When it's full, you have to relax a bit about not being able to see all chips if people keep them in the tray, but it's also nice to have crap like cellphones, lighters, etc off the table. Unless the cup holders are deep, though, keep drinks off table. Oddly, those are on the wrong side, as most people are right-handed. Imagine dealing and reaching around to manage the pot with a beer in front of you on that one.

Interestingly, on both of my tables, which are different designs but similar idea, there's a spot that's an even 10 chips high. On one it's the ledge from the tray to the tabletop, on another it's the dividers between the trays. So it makes it easy to keep quickly countable stacks.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:01 PM

I don't allow drinks on the table and as such have no cupholders. I'll be posting up some photos in the "..scene" thread here soon (maybe tonight as I'll be doing some preliminary set up. Saturday at the latest) and you can see my answer to drinks and food

Other than that I agree 100% with that list
Old 09-27-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

An octogon will never make sense for 10 players, but you could use a decagon.

In any event I would never want to play a game on an oval table where the deal was passed around the table.

I
Old 09-27-2007, 06:54 PM

We squeeze 9 on our octagons when need be. #9 just plays out of a rack on a corner, and everyone else gets a little cozier.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:02 PM

I can easily fit 9 at my octagon table, and can fit 10 in a pinch. A little crowded, but it works.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An octogon will never make sense for 10 players, but you could use a decagon.

In any event I would never want to play a game on an oval table where the deal was passed around the table.

[/ QUOTE ]
How about a big pentagon? The bad beats could be blamed on....well whatever.

Every home game I am involved in uses an oval table and a rotating deal. It never even occured to me that it could be a concern because it hasn't been.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:56 AM

I'm leaning towards making a dodecahedron. Seating should not be an issue.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]