Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 11:34 AM

Default rake worries

Hi everyone

Up to now I've been playing almost excl no limit, mostly 6 max NL. I'd like to learn limit, esp short handed and h/u.

I've got accounts at Party and Full Tilt, intending to experiment at 6 max limit from $.50/$1 to $3/$6. But I'm concerned about the rake at lower limits. At what point does the rake become too much to handle without rb? Is there an optimal limit (from the point of view of rake) to get started at?
Old 07-11-2007, 11:41 AM

Default Re: rake worries

In a perfect world you would like rakeback, but at the lower limits you mentioned, if you are a good player, the rake is still quite beatable. It might be worse at .5/1 and 1/2, but the players there are also worse, so that offsets it a bit.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:54 AM

Open an account at Pokerstars. It is not hard to get Silver where you get 1.5 FPPs for every VIP pt. If you play about 8k hands a month of 1/2, I think you'll make gold, where you get 2 FPPs for every VIP pt.

You then play in the 500 FPP freeroll tournies to get into the Sunday Million Tourney. One out of every 27 players get a seat worth $215.00. You then sell it right here on 2+2.

Great rakeback system. You can win one out of 20 times you get in. That's 10,000 FPPs/2 = 5000 VIPs points earned as a gold member.

Or, you just play in the tournament, take first place and pocket 100k. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I sell it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2007, 12:13 PM

I was wrong. It takes 4k VIP pts to get gold. When I was rushing the last day of June to get gold, I was earning approx 45 VIP pts every 100 hands. There are 40 100's in 4k.
4k/45 = 88.89 100s = 8888.88 hands.

Also, it was the last day of the month, so the pots seemed a little bigger, and you may only avg 40 VIP pts per 100 hands throughout the month.

This is playing 1/2 6 handed.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:49 PM

Are you winning at 6 max NL?

If you are stay with it.

If you're not then you really need to sit down and learn whichever game you choose from scratch.

I have experimented with going from limit to no limit cash in the past and they are not even close to being the same game.

Rakeback always helps but you can limit beat it without.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:14 PM

If you can't beat $0.5/$1 it only gets harder as you move up. The softness of the game more than offsets the rake.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:23 AM

Hey,

I've just made the same jump that you're trying to make.

I exclusively played 6-max NL for the last 2-3 years with a whole lot of success, but I really enjoy playing all forms of poker. LHE 6-max was the one I couldn't beat. After a few thousand hands, I'm now winning at this game.

What I would whole heartedly suggest, besides reading/posting on this forum, is to check out Schneids' videos on cardrunners. He's done some low limit (2/4) stuff that completely changed the way I play limit. 90% of the players at these levels play ABC, and their bets on later streets mean exactly what they represent. Just pay attention to the other 10% and don't be afraid to look them up light. That fact alone probably increased my BB/100 by 2-3.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

LHE 6-max was the one I couldn't beat. After a few thousand hands, I'm now winning at this game

[/ QUOTE ]

I lol'd.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:11 AM

Hey, I would recommend doing it somewhere you can get rb. I'm primarily a limit player, but took my monies of internet and stopped playing online for a while. I also spent most of my roll in that time and lost some taking a shot under rolled at live games.

Anyway, I started with $250 on FT at .25/.50. I've worked that $250 up to $1240 for the moment, but $330 of that is from rakeback. Nevertheless, you can see the games are beatable that low. Just run good.

Edit: I just reread this and see it looks like a bit of a brag. I'm just starting my whole online roll over, and playing lower than I ever did even when I started. Anyway, the rake is definitely beatable. That said, I def recommend going to a site with RB.

And really have bankroll discipline, but it sounds like you already have monies from NL so I'm thinking your okay.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

LHE 6-max was the one I couldn't beat. After a few thousand hands, I'm now winning at this game

[/ QUOTE ]

I lol'd.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup that statement made me smile

If you dont take a rakeback deal youre pretty much passing away monies until you find a site without rb but u still make for that because of the fishiness of the games, such a site might be pacific but i think theyve a pretty awful rake structure however it wouldnt be a bad idea to start out at these games because youre not experiencing those horrible swings like players for example at crypto do wich has a lot of merits afterwards i would always play on pacific then on crypto even if i make 0.5BB less there.