Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2007, 12:37 AM

Default Serious monitor decisions for poker/gaming etc.

Hey y'all. I'm a membet of wsgf.com as well as anandtech.com etc, but thought this would be the ideal place to ask regarding my monitor(s) that I'm in the market for.

The new rig is going to be a hoss...at least a e6600 dual core w/ 1 (maybe a 2nd) 8800GTX, 4Gig ram etc. Long story short, a beast.

But what I come to you fellas for is monitor advice. I have narrowed this down to 3 general choices and I haven't a clue as to which would be better for me:

1- a single 30" monitor (Apple, Dell, or Samsung...tbd later). Res: 2560x1600 Price: $1300

2 - Dual 24" monitors (Samsung or Dell or ??? TBD) Res: 1920x1200 Price: $1200-$1400

3 - Triple 22" monitors (hooked up with a Triple Head 2 Go ) Res: 1680x1050 Price: $900ish

Now, this monster rig will be used for my poker, gaming, as well as day-to-day use. No video editing etc. Just everyday kinds of things. Now with that said, multitabling is essential to me. I currently have a 24" Sony widescreen CRT that is dying and I can play 4 tables at a time w/o overlap (1920x1200). I need more desktop space, for sure. So the better the resolution the better. But dual 24's would be sufficient as I'd have enough room to 8 table. But I would only be able to game on one, since the "split" between the monitors would be a serious PITA. That's where the idea of the TH2G came from. I'm all ears on that one as well

Now, price-wise, all 3 options are comparable. The price really isn't a big issue for me. I just want a quality, high-end system that I will be able to multitable with as well as have a fantastic gaming experience as well.

What say you and, please, if you don't mind, the reason for why you'd go with one setup vs another.

Thanks fellas!

eta: clarified some details