Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Send a message to Kevin Everett

[ QUOTE ]
Dids and Clark are both right, obviously. Generally, the people who are writing letters are tools/hypocrites/ironic/ignorant, especially those notifying everyone else that they sent one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I often wonder whether poker destroys souls, or if the people who play were born soulless.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:05 PM

I sent him a message, and part of my motivation was maybe it might encourage him a little when he hears you got a million cards and emails...

But I'll be honest, some of it is out of, i wouldn't call it "guilt", but i dunno he paid a huge price and I enjoyed the distraction of the games so much. I know its his job and he's paid and he knows the risk. Its just the contrast of the fun and trivial merging with real life and death in my mind that causes me to take more notice.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:11 PM

I wonder if these posts would be the same if he had died, which Everett very nearly did.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if these posts would be the same if he had died, which Everett very nearly did.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Way to get the thread off guys. Its sad, this man will never move again and will go through more in the next few years than all the douchebags commenting on him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agreed it's sad. Said it several times. What, that's not enough? I somehow need to write a letter to prove I'm not a bad guy?

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder how unhappy some of you must be in your own lives to come and comment on his situation in this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said it was sad. And it is. Not sure what other comment about his situation you are upset about. Of course, I asked in like 6 consecutive posts earlier for examples of what I was being accused of and haven't seen a response yet, either.

[ QUOTE ]
The one thing that may come from this situation is further attention on paralysis and the impact it has on the lives of hundreds of thousands and their families.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't going to bring this up, but I think it'll make a good point. I've donated $1,500/year the last 3 years to spinal cord research. Truth. Now am I suddenly a more caring guy and better person than the letter writers? Of course not. Just as not writing a letter doesn't make me a worse guy. But, hey, let's all attack the guys who say that this event, while sad, isn't any more or less sad than thousands of daily occurrances.

PS - I wonder how many of the email writers would've taken enough time to write an actual letter, buy a stamp, and mail it, if email wasn't available. I'm guessing a tiny fraction of them. Are those who would take that extra effort better people yet?
Old 09-11-2007, 04:28 PM

"I've donated $1,500/year the last 3 years to spinal cord research"

World class slowroll. <3 Clark.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I've donated $1,500/year the last 3 years to spinal cord research"

World class slowroll. <3 Clark.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he really proved everyone wrong by telling us something that has nothing to do with the issue people had with his post! This thread had a simple message -- "here's a link to a site where you can write this guy a letter if you so desire". There was absolutely no reason for anyone to chime in with negativity. Either you write the guy a [censored] letter or you don't. I hate you [censored] people so much. I mean honest to god hate. I never thought that could happen.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he really proved everyone wrong by telling us something that has nothing to do with the issue people had with his post! This thread had a simple message -- "here's a link to a site where you can write this guy a letter if you so desire". There was absolutely no reason for anyone to chime in with negativity. Either you write the guy a [censored] letter or you don't. I hate you [censored] people so much. I mean honest to god hate. I never thought that could happen. Just shut the [censored] up.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP: Send a message to Kevin Everett
Clark: Nah

Some people said yes. Clark said no. Clark already owned you when he posted this:

"Just as much reason as there is for people to come to the thread and let everyone know that they *are* sending an email."

So please stfu and go cry in the corner.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agreed it's sad. Said it several times. What, that's not enough? I somehow need to write a letter to prove I'm not a bad guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the millionth time, no one, and I mean no one, cares if you write a letter to this guy or not. It's the fact that you go out of your way to inform everyone that you're not going to write this guy a letter that is bothersome.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Way to get the thread off guys. Its sad, this man will never move again and will go through more in the next few years than all the douchebags commenting on him.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder how unhappy some of you must be in your own lives to come and comment on his situation in this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said it was sad. And it is. Not sure what other comment about his situation you are upset about. Of course, I asked in like 6 consecutive posts earlier for examples of what I was being accused of and haven't seen a response yet, either.

[ QUOTE ]
The one thing that may come from this situation is further attention on paralysis and the impact it has on the lives of hundreds of thousands and their families.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't going to bring this up, but I think it'll make a good point. I've donated $1,500/year the last 3 years to spinal cord research. Truth. Now am I suddenly a more caring guy and better person than the letter writers? Of course not. Just as not writing a letter doesn't make me a worse guy. But, hey, let's all attack the guys who say that this event, while sad, isn't any more or less sad than thousands of daily occurrances.

PS - I wonder how many of the email writers would've taken enough time to write an actual letter, buy a stamp, and mail it, if email wasn't available. I'm guessing a tiny fraction of them. Are those who would take that extra effort better people yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope its true that you donate money to paralysis research. Hopefully within 5-10 years therapies will emerge that will enable him to walk. I am also paralyzed, I am fortunate enough to have a low enough level of injury that I live a normal life, unlike Everett. Any hopes he once had are dashed and his expected life span is shortened dramatically.

The part I found odd was that all the posters before you were posting was "sent". And you felt the need to say "Nah". You brought the attention to yourself for whatever reason. You think its odd it gets attention??? He was paralyzed on national TV! Is it any sadder than an 18yr old kid who gets paralyzed in a car wreck? No, of course not. But it is still a sad moment. I just find it odd that in a thread meant to uplift a guy, you choose to post "Nah". But cheers to donating to spinal cord research and maybe in the near future accidents like this won't mean the end to a normal healthy life.