Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 09:37 AM

Default top pair getting raised on turn

villain is unknown.
Is it the standard play?

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, Button calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ad Js (two pair, jacks and fours).
MP has 6d 7d (straight, seven high).
Outcome: MP wins 10.75 BB. </font>
Old 05-30-2007, 09:45 AM

Default Re: top pair getting raised on turn

edit: missed preflop action.

I reraise preflop. as played checkraise the flop. as played calldown is good.

and don't post results
Old 05-30-2007, 09:46 AM

calling downs pretty standard, preflop and flop line probably arent. Id 3bet pre-flop to lose MP get dead money in the pot and get HU with ur likely equity edge vs button and gain some FE for when u both miss. If i didnt raise preflop id cr the flop with any hand where i had TPGK. On this dryish hi card then two rag board button will likely cb 3 way close to 100% of the time. If i had the read he was weak and often ck'd behind here as the pfr Id lead.

after the turn raise this is often enough AJ-QJ, a bdfd, or some stupid freeshowdown raise with a weak pair enough to call down. On the river the clubs still missed and AJ-QJ are enough. If MP had cr'd the turn the river call would be easier as hed be less likely to give up on a semi-bluff or ck behind a hand u counterfeited like 53 or J3 (altho unlikely hands to be limped esp offsuit).
Old 05-30-2007, 09:53 AM

I would fold cuz villain has a straight
Old 05-30-2007, 09:54 AM

Against an unknown I think it's ok to call down, since we could be up against a maniac. However limping preflop indicates (at least to me) a passive player and in that case top pair is very rarely good against a reraise on the turn.

It feels like a slowplay or a draw on the flop, either way you're dead on the river, slow play would be two pair (5-4 most likely) or a set. If its a draw then its probably a straight. Of course it could be that he caught a flushdraw, but I doubt a limping player will reraise the turn with a draw like that. You're probably beat here, with a chance that a 3,J or an A on the turn will win if its a slowplayed twopair. Either fold to the reraise on the turn or call down.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would fold cuz villain has a straight

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I don't see what the debate is here. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]