Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Reguest: Restaurant recommendations in DC area

Bistrot Lafayette in Alexandria is solid French. A hole-in-the-wall sort of place, with enthusiastic, but a bit slow servers. The food is very very good. Roughly $30 a plate.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:28 AM

If your ok with going outside DC. Peking Gourmet in Baileys Cross Roads is damn good Chinese. Not any father then Fairfax..

Most the other restaurants mentioned are good. I used to work at the Sweetwater one Fluff mentioned and can vouch it is very good. Not sure what I can say, but my highest recommendation is that I worked there for around a year and still happily eat there. Most other restaurants ive worked in the kitchen of, I cant say that..

Also, if you go to Alexandria, Landini Brothers is amazing Italian food. Been going there since I was little and have never had a bad meal. Plus the waiters and management are great..
Old 03-26-2007, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the responses guys. OOT is the best and the Shajen thread also has scads of info.

I def. think I'll check out Georgia Brown's, the rest I'll discuss with the missus.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing about Georgia Brown's is that you need to get reservations WAY in advance for Sunday morning brunch, and dress yo' finest.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:32 AM

Do not miss sweetwater tavern. Ardy's has the same food I believe, slightly different atmospheres. Lobster bisque, prime rib, baked potato, is probably the greatest meal ever.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In Arlington, you can get phenomenal chili at Hard Times Cafe. I would also not miss Red Hot 'n' Blue BBQ in Arlington, either. Their motto is "best BBQ you'll ever eat in a building not yet condemned". They're right.

[/ QUOTE ]

disagree on both. MUCH better food in the same area would be Harrys Tap Room (decent priced good steaks) or Boulevard Woodgrill (good ribs)
Old 03-26-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In Arlington, you can get phenomenal chili at Hard Times Cafe. I would also not miss Red Hot 'n' Blue BBQ in Arlington, either. Their motto is "best BBQ you'll ever eat in a building not yet condemned". They're right.

[/ QUOTE ]

disagree on both. MUCH better food in the same area would be Harrys Tap Room (decent priced good steaks) or Boulevard Woodgrill (good ribs)

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, Hard Times and RH&B are both good, but nothing to write home about (although RH&B does serve the best potato salad I've ever had) Harry's is great, but I'm eh on Blvd Woodgrille though, although it's at a great spot to sit outdoors and people watch.

Additionally, here are several "cheap eats" spots that are all worth getting to:

Pollo Rico - Peruvian chicken, the best there is. It's really fantastic.

The Italian Store - The best Italian Sub I've ever had. Great pizza too, probably the best in DC.

Food Factory - Kabobs, really really good. I always run into people here who have driven >30 miles for an $8 kabob, and I'm always glad I can walk there [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Five Guys - For years and years it used to be strictly DC/suburbs, but within the last 2 years they have started springing up all over Virginia, and they're starting to make their way up and down the East Coast. They're not the greatest burgers ever as some will have you believe, but they're very tasty all the same. Ate there for lunch today as a matter of fact. Cajun Boardwalk fries are a plus.

Panjshir II - EXCELLENT Afghan food in Vienna VA. Probably doesn't qualify as cheap eats like the other places ($12-$18 entrees i think), but still won't break the bank. Really deicious food.

Edit: Add Thai Square in Arlington to the list, great Thai Food although they got some local publicity and won "Best Of" awards about 2 years ago and its been MUCH harder to get a table since then. Great Thai food though.

That's all I can think of that hasn't been mentioned...
Old 03-26-2007, 03:32 PM

Has the Delhi Dhaba in that neighborhood been torn down yet?

You'd be surprised how good the pasta is at IOTA. But for the best old school Americana (mixed with greek and italian) food anywhere in town, you can't beat Metro 29, around the intersection of Lee and Glebe.

Now I miss it. I'm hungry. Too bad I'm in Colorado now.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:01 PM

Eden Center on Wilson blvd/Rte 50 is also great for Vietnamese food and basically wandering into a different world and looking at all the shops. The best restuarant in there is a place in the center of the strip mall "U" called Huang Viet. don't go to Huang Que (4 Sisters) as all the reviews tell you to do...it is the white boy version. My GF is half vietnamese and her mom has a field day in that place when she comes to visit.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:15 PM

Obelisk in Dupont Circle is one of my all-time favorite restaurants anywhere in the world. It's high-end Italian, very small place. Prix fixe only, new menu every day. Pretty good deal for this kind of food, too, something like $55 for the 4-course menu.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:25 PM

When I visited D.C. about 10 years ago, I had one of the finest meals of my life at 1789 in Georgetown. It was pricey and upscale/snooty, but the food was truly incredible.