Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Politics noob

I suck at politics. But I want to learn more so I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to the upcoming Presidential election. Can you guys point me to some unbiased reading so I can research the different candidates?
Old 03-11-2007, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Politics noob

[ QUOTE ]
I suck at politics. But I want to learn more so I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to the upcoming Presidential election. Can you guys point me to some unbiased reading so I can research the different candidates?

[/ QUOTE ]

The first thing you need to realize is that everyone is biased. If you keep this in mind, you will do a lot better. Being able to read different biased points of view will help you a lot.

I'm unaware of an upcoming Presidential Election. Do you mean the one thats in 20 months? Currently, there really isn't much going on with the candidates other than figuring out who is running. Most of the candidates are focused now on PR and getting their name out as much as possible. There really isn't much to learn since its mostly posturing. The only big candidate with any kind of record is McCain.

As the election gets closer and candidates are actually forced to debate on issues, you'll have more discussion on here. Currently, the only issues being discussed is which candidate had sex with whom and who didn't pay their parking tickets on time, and which ones might be [censored]s (at least in the school yard sense of the word).
Old 03-11-2007, 12:33 PM

I guess I'm just looking for somewhere to start. Thus far through my life I've been pretty ignorant of all politics. I'm trying to change that, but I have no idea where to start.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'm just looking for somewhere to start. Thus far through my life I've been pretty ignorant of all politics. I'm trying to change that, but I have no idea where to start.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would avoid candidates and search for a political philosophy first. The rest is easy. What do you think the role of government should be (if at all)?
Old 03-11-2007, 12:45 PM

The Wiki page has links to the wiki pages for the different candidates. That should be a good start.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:46 PM

I will second the notion that you will not find unbiased info. In politics people angle for power and I've sure you have heard the notion that politics is a dirty business. Keep that in mind as you explore. peace.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think the role of government should be (if at all)?

[/ QUOTE ]
See, that's part of the reason I'm trying to become more educated. It's hard for me to have a solid opinion on any given subject when my knowledge of how the government handles those issues is so limited. Take, I don't know....healthcare. I know a basic theoretical argument for both increasing and decreasing government involvement, but I don't know any real details for me to have an educated opinion. I don't know if I've explained that well, but I'm the kind of person who can't take a side on an issue without knowing the details.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What do you think the role of government should be (if at all)?

[/ QUOTE ]
See, that's part of the reason I'm trying to become more educated. It's hard for me to have a solid opinion on any given subject when my knowledge of how the government handles those issues is so limited. Take, I don't know....healthcare. I know a basic theoretical argument for both increasing and decreasing government involvement, but I don't know any real details for me to have an educated opinion. I don't know if I've explained that well, but I'm the kind of person who can't take a side on an issue without knowing the details.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm talking more basic than issues like healthcare. I'm talking about intent and purpose. Should the purpose of government be to protect property rights? Redistribute income to promote social justice? Provide a basic safety net for all citizens? That kinda stuff. Ask yourself why we have a government and why should we (if at all).

People get too bogged down in individual issues without analyzing intent and purpose. I think getting a background in theory will make you more well prepared to see through the bs when different politicians promise different ponies to different people.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case, I'd start with a book/articles about the history of the United States government. Learn about the constitution, how it's been manipulated/interpreted over time. Learn about the major political movements throughout history. You might begin to shape some frame of reference about where we are now, and why it is that way. From there, you might know where you want it to go.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:03 PM

You can also read of what some of our founding fathers had in store by reading The Federalist Papers.