Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 09:42 PM

Default A new book I like so far

Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die

This book is very obviously influenced by "The Tipping Point," which I'm sure many of you have read. I'm not all the way through it, but it's a very interesting read so far.

I'd give a little summary, but the title is pretty descriptive.

I heard about it in an article in the latest Fast Company magazine that I'm getting because the previous tenant didn't cancel her subscriptions. If you want Sporting News, Golf Digest, Cruising World, or Shape! just hit me up.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Re: A new book I like so far

mmbt,

Thanks, looks interesting.

Last book I read was More, Now, Again: A Memoir of Addiction by Elizabeth Wurtzel.

Not new (2001), but pretty good, especially if you're interested in stories about addiction. This is by the author of Prozac Nation, which is a better book than this one. Still recommend it, though, pretty interesting stuff.

Dry, A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs

Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp

are two other similarly themed books I recommend.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:00 PM

I generally don't read much fiction, but I am reading Gilead and it is very good. It seems to be one long letter written by a dying/old minister to his son about his life etc. I think it won the Pulitzer prize a few years ago.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:19 PM

Currently reading

A Confederacy of Dunces which has been hilarious, Ignatius is a lot like how I imagine Dids to be, absent living with his mother.

On The Road Just started this but I love it so far,books like this always make me want to go out and do something interesting or memorable with my life. I never do, but its nice to dream sometimes.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:30 PM

Currently reading:

The End of Poverty: Economic Possibilities For Our Time

I haven't finished it, but so far it has been very intriguing. This is an economist with a proven track record - he's turned around the economies of Poland, Bolivia and helped several others. While eliminating global poverty seems impossible, his proposals really do make sense.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

On The Road Just started this but I love it so far,books like this always make me want to go out and do something interesting or memorable with my life. I never do, but its nice to dream sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

My friends and I took a 2-week roadtrip after reading this book. Of course we couldn't match the escapades of Kerouac & co.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:42 PM

Will check out the recommendations posted so far, and I've got one of my own, for a less-serious nonfiction read. I recently was thoroughly entertained, and a little bit more, by

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0307339564
Prisoner of Trebeskistan by Bob Harris

The author was a five-time Jeopardy champ, has been invited to all the sundry Ultimate Mega Championships, and has made good money on several other trivia- or wordplay-based gameshows. He's racked up some big wins and some sickening losses on national tv.

But that's not the interesting part; if it were, I would have just read Ken Jennings's book. There's a running theme of memory throughout the narrative that really struck a chord with me, and Harris's description of his life and the women in it will probably resonate well with many 2p2ers, if those OOT relationship threads are any indication. I remember what I thought the book would be like before I read it, but it's way more than that, and if you pick it up, you'll be glad ya did.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Currently reading:

I haven't finished it, but so far it has been very intriguing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read about half of this and got derailed. What I did read seemed to be "Yo, check out how awesome I am! Setting aside several billion dollars to guarantee currency fixes everything!" I might come back to it at some point.

I've started reading Moral Minds, but it's a little boring at first, which is a bad sign since it's a topic that I think is pretty interesting. Also reading A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace. The good essays in there are good - I love reading what he has to say about tennis, and the final titular essay is real solid as well. DFW is occasionally overfond of frightening words, but he's got a lot of good observations, is pretty funny, and seems like somebody I'd relate to pretty well.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Currently reading:

I haven't finished it, but so far it has been very intriguing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read about half of this and got derailed. What I did read seemed to be "Yo, check out how awesome I am! Setting aside several billion dollars to guarantee currency fixes everything!" I might come back to it at some point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand what you're saying - I've actually put down the book for periods of time. I feel his proposals are so grand in scale that he feels the need to first establish his credibility.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:13 PM

I just started reading Supermob: How Sidney Korshak and His Criminal Associates Became America's Hidden Power Brokers. There's a great line inside the jacket cover--How does a lawyer with no phone, no office and no files become one of the most powerful men in America?

El D,
another good book about addiction is Permanent Midnight.
Closed Thread