Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Guild Wars

If you plan to pvp competitively and don't buy the PvP editions, then this game has a whole lot of grinding. Almost as bad as WoW.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you plan to pvp competitively and don't buy the PvP editions, then this game has a whole lot of grinding. Almost as bad as WoW.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't really understand this considering you can create a level 20 character from scratch. If you're referring to the fact that you start off with few of the total available skills, then I guess I see what you're saying, though it's not really a big deal.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:07 AM

I have the original Guildwars plus the Nightfall expansion. I have never played WoW.

Things I like about GW.
No monthly fee.
Doesn't feel like a grind. Like someone else said you hit the level 20 cap fairly quick. After that, it is all about skills. Also, you don't have to be online for 4-5 hours to feel like you've accomplished something, you can get stuff done to progress thru the game with just an hour or two a day.
Each prof has about 100 or so skills. You also have a secondary prof with 100 or so skills.
Each prof has 4 attributes, 1 of these is a primary attribute and can only be used if your character has that prof as his main profession, not secondary.
The catch is you can only take 8 skills with you at once. So it is all about finding skills that really work well together. A lot of the fun is discovering new builds and new ways skills interact.
Everything starts in towns. Where you form a party, either all human controlled, all AI controlled, or a mix. There may be 100 or more human players in each town. Once you form a party, you leave town to the explorable areas. In explorable areas, it is only your party and enemies as well NPC characters. SO you dont see random people running all over. It gives the game more of a feeling that you are actually doing something to progress the storyline.
Each chapter of guild wars has a definate storyline, that you follow, but you can still explore all around the world.
The ability to use AI controlled players is nice, suppose your in some remote town and the right class isn't available to team up with you, you can have the AI take the roll. Also, for some AI characters, you can set their skill bars to really compliment yours to get some combinations you may not have with strictly human players.
Another benefit of AI players is the game can be as multiplayer as you want.
As with any MMORG, there is farming if you want, super high end areas that are very difficult, etc.

PVP
I don't PVP much, I prefer PVE. there is no PVP in the PVE area, so you dont have random people attacking you. Instead there are PVP arenas.

Again, I think the no monthly fee is pretty huge. If you don't feel like playing for a while, you don't feel obligated to play.

Like WoW, there are guilds you can join. Some focus on PVE, some PVP, some both. The guild system is pretty good as far as I'm concerned.

Check out guildwarsguru.com or guildwiki.org for more info.
Send me a PM on twoplustwo if you need some help in game to get started.

Edit to add example of attribute system:
Say your class is a monk.
monk has 4 attributes. divine favor (boosts other attributes), healing, protection, smiting. You have enough points at lvl 20 to max out 2 of these, and raise another 1 or 2 levels.
so even in the monk class, you have decisions on what kind of monk to make. A healing monk boosted with divine favor, a protection monk boosted with divine favor, a healing & protection monk, etc. Then you have to pick which skills fit best. So a lot of thought goes into it from a tactical standpoint. (This may be same as WoW, but like I said, I've never played it.)
Old 06-12-2007, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't really understand this considering you can create a level 20 character from scratch. If you're referring to the fact that you start off with few of the total available skills, then I guess I see what you're saying, though it's not really a big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can create a lvl 20 character immediately, but only use it for PVP. All PVE characters start at Lvl 1.
This way, if you want to jump into PVP right away, you have a much better chance.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't played WoW, but I don't think the grind in guildwars is bad at all.

If you want a max damage sword with max upgrades, it isn't too hard to get.
If you want a max damage sword with max upgrades that has a design no one else has, then it takes a long grind.
But then its just because you want a special design, not because its just to get a max damage sword.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't played WoW, but I don't think the grind in guildwars is bad at all.

If you want a max damage sword with max upgrades, it isn't too hard to get.
If you want a max damage sword with max upgrades that has a design no one else has, then it takes a long grind.
But then its just because you want a special design, not because its just to get a max damage sword.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically all the real competitive guilds want you fully unlocked on skills/weapons upgrades. That means all the classes in the game, not just the ones you prefer to play. With 3 expansions unlocking all the skills/elites/upgrades takes awhile and it is a pretty time consuming grind.

But from what I hear now about the game now, they have PvP editions, which are the way to go if you are wanting to be in a competitive guild.

Also, this is just from my experience from when I used to play and was in a consistent top 20 guild.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:45 PM

The game bored me within a month. I'll sell you my account over PS. I have the 1st two expansions and the promo disc/items for the third. Send a PM.