Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 12:01 AM

Default Let\'s Work On CrazyEyez\' Swing

thing of beauty

That down-the-line driver shot is at a horrible angle. It's better on the wedge.

This is the first time I've ever seen my swing. I knew I have problems coming over the top, which is obvious. I didn't know I take it back so flat - wtf? Am I too far from the ball?

Talk to me Goose.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:21 AM

Default Re: Let\'s Work On CrazyEyez\' Swing

I'll say it before and I'll say it again...What does the ball do?

Yes, you are too flat, yes you are too far from the ball...etc, but if you hit the ball perfectly straight every time then it doesn't matter what it looks like. You'll need to tell us what your shots look like and what the problems are.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:24 AM

-I would start with reducing the hip turn, and keeping the right knee flexed in the backswing.
-Then I would get your takeaway knocked out (check golfdigest.com for some swing sequences, you will see some very similar things in the takeaway position where the club is horizontal to the ground.)
Old 05-28-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-I would start with reducing the hip turn, and keeping the right knee flexed in the backswing.
-Then I would get your takeaway knocked out (check golfdigest.com for some swing sequences, you will see some very similar things in the takeaway position where the club is horizontal to the ground.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely agree with these. OP, watch the swing again, and pause it at the top of your swing. You will notice that your right leg has straightened out to the point where your knee seems almost locked straight. You need to try to 'pivot' around that knee, but keeping it flexed throughout the backswing. This will immediately help get the club 'on plane' better, which leads to my observation:

The club head gets very 'laid off' as you make your backswing. Yes, the swing is very flat, but you have to understand what makes it so, and what to do to improve it. You are ahead of the game because the beginning of your takeaway is very good - you are getting the club started on the inside of the target line, which is what you want.

From that point, however, which is about the point at which the clubhead gets to the level of your hips, you need to get the clubhead going 'up' and around, not just around.

You can attempt to do this by cocking your wrists once you get that clubhead to your hips. Just feel that the clubhead, from that point starts going up and around your body until it gets to the top of the swing.

You may also want to try to shorten your swing a little. So many people fall in love with getting the golf club to 'parallel' at the top, but it isn't necessary. What is necessary is that your upper body and lower body are turning, and working together, back and through.

Man, I hate trying to explain what I see in a message board post. It almost always sounds like crap.

PM me if you have any questions.

-Jay
Old 05-28-2007, 05:52 PM

I forgot a drill you can do at home!!

Take a short to mid iron, and turn it upside down, holding it like you normally would, just above the clubhead instead of on the grip.

Set up with your butt facing a wall at home, or outside your home or apartment. The grip may leave a mark or something, so find someplace inconspicuous or easily cleanable.

You are going to make slow golf swings, and find that when you take the club back the way you normally do, the butt end of club will run in to the wall and not progress further. Once you start tracing that wall with the club, though, you will find a swing that will keep the clubhead on plane longer.

You want to make complete swings with this drill, and maintain contact with the wall with the butt end of the club until you get your hands down to about your hips. This should get you swing closer you want to 'the slot' which will help you make more repeatable and desireable golf swings.

- Jay
Old 05-28-2007, 01:36 AM

I'm wildly inconsistent. I have a roughly equal distribution of pull/pull-hooks, slices, pushes. With the driver, typically my first few holes are pushes/slices, then I'm straight for awhile, then by the end I'm pulling it and hitting snap-hooks. Irons I don't really spin much one way or the other, I just am 60/40 right/left.

[ QUOTE ]
I would start with reducing the hip turn

[/ QUOTE ]
See I feel like if I don't turn my hips and shoulders as much as possible on my back swing that my arms will get way ahead of my body and I'll come over the top even more. What is supposed to be accomplished by reducing my hip turn?
Old 05-28-2007, 03:59 AM

Tips for recording your swing using the video:

1. The camera from down the line must must must be at hand level (once in your golf posture) and down your hand line. Otherwise all thoughts on path/plane will be skewed.

THAT IS ALL

There is nothing I hate more than professionals using video to record swings that do not realize this and put the camera on a tall tripod down the target line.

OP Im not mad at you, Im mad at others but your post let me ramble so sorry.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:04 AM

I'm not a golf teacher, but I think you should really address the backswing plane. Coming back that flat tends to induce the over the top move on the downswing. Also, given the description of your ball flight distribution I wonder if you are hitting with your arms. When I try to "hit" the ball from the top with my arms and hands I get the same ball flights you are describing. That would also tend to produce the over the top move.

P.S. Does anyone know of a good free tool to grab frames from golf swing videos (ie, produce a swing sequence)?
Old 05-28-2007, 04:47 AM

WE DONT KNOW WHAT HIS SWING PLANE IS BECAUSE OF THE CAMERA ANGLE

I FEEL LIKE IM TAKING CRAZY PILLS, PLZ READ MY POST

Your swing looks fine, looks like you could do without the recoil on your followthrough.

(not like I know anything tho, just a lowly Class A professional)
Old 05-28-2007, 09:32 AM

Geez Limit....no need to shout.

OP is putting his swing on a poker forum and asking what we think. He doesn't want a lecture on camera angle. With that said, obviously a proper camera angle would be beneficial, but being the Class A that you are, you should be able to offer some input regarding his swing even if the angle is off.