Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 02:57 AM

Default Re: Simple Basic Newbie Question......

[ QUOTE ]
had troubles highlighting earlier text.

anyhow, this is like vietnam flashbacks of my early limit "reading book" days... but i thought miller/sklansky (????) considered a back door cover as one out. same with straight draw, although i can't remember the particulars on quality of draw and made flush/straight... but i do remember 1 out for a back door straight (assume a good straight and OE) and 1 out for a back door flush (want it to be 3 flush on board or you hold A or K of the suit).... not sure about this though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, this is in SSHE and is worth a read. My copy is in a box in storage right now, so I can't look up the exact figures, but what's quoted above sounds about right.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[5h 7s]
*** FLOP *** [Kd 3h Jh]
If I the hand is Kc9s.... now you count your outs?

I know I'm doing something wrong, but don't know what it is... I'm still learning...

Thanks for the reply....

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, now I've got Kc7s and I want to count my outs (I changed it to K7 to avoid runner-runner straight possibilities). So the important question is - What do I think my opponent has?

If he's got AA, then I've got 5 outs - 2 remaining kings and 3 remaining sevens.
If he's got AK, then I've only got 3 outs - the 3 remaining sevens. AhKh drops you down to 2 outs, since the 7h gives your opponent a flush (but would give you a draw to a full house)
If he's got KJ, I'm drawing nearly dead, to running sevens.
If he's got QQ, I don't need to count outs, just avoid the remaining two queens.
If he's got JJ, I'm [censored] unless I catch perfect-perfect for quad kings.

So now you have to look at the preflop and flop action, decide what his range of possible holdings is, and from that you can figure out how many outs you probably have. It's not exact.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
*** FLOP *** [Kd 3h Jh]

OK, now I've got Kc7s and I want to count my outs

If he's got AK, then I've only got 3 outs - the 3 remaining sevens. AhKh drops you down to 2 outs, since the 7h gives your opponent a flush (but would give you a draw to a full house)

If he's got JJ, I'm [censored] unless I catch perfect-perfect for quad kings.

[/ QUOTE ]

In all of these scenarios,you're leaving out the runner full houses that you can hit to tie or win the hand. Very small possibility, but as long as you're doing practice...