Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Moving Up

I am a couple winning sessions away from moving up to .50/1.00 Are there really any changes I might need to make. Or is this switch not big enough to really need adjustments from .25/.50?
Old 10-26-2007, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Moving Up

Don't be afraid to move down in limits if you don't run goot. Don't get too freaked out when you see a $10 or $15 pot. You're going to see play worse than .25/.50 and better than, don't assume it's all going to be better. It will seem tougher at first but that will go away. Good Luck.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:51 AM

I just moved up on FTP and I've noticed the tables tend to be more aggressive and the play is a tad tighter. Play is still terrible overall fortunately.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:26 AM

Just play the solid poker you played on .25/.5, it works just as well. I think a big reason to why one might loose initially when moving up is because we(I) make changes in the game strategy, usually playing more scared because the bets are bigger.

Overall I find a few more competent tags at the table on .5/1 than on .25/.5. There's still plenty of less competent players to fight over though.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:50 AM

It's a flowing difference. If you just stick to your game, it might be that you won't even notice.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:34 AM

Well, in general, people will play a bit tighter, but just as bad. You will also see a few OK players. I dunno about the adjustments - just play good poker. Maybe one could be blind stealing - you can steal more since people will be tighter.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:39 AM

You won't see an actual "strategy" difference moving up intil you get to 3/6. The games are kind of different, but still bad, just in their own way. 1/2 plays like 25/50, 2/4 is a little tigher, a little nittier, but still beatable. 3/6 is where you will start to "feel" a different play going on. 5/10 is hit and miss. Sometimes it plays like 1/2 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], sometimes it plays like 5/10 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

You will always be making adjustments to your game depending on table conditions. So get used to it now.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:17 PM

Hmm, maybe my experience is atypical (especially since I see everybody else saying "there's not a big difference between $0.25/$0.50 and $0.50/$1. games are still still bad.")

When I made the move-up from $0.25/$0.50 to $0.50/$1, I immediately took a large downswing. This was after I was running 7+ BB/100 at $0.25/$0.50 and thought that I was pretty good at the game, hehe.

This was a while ago and I definitely played worse than I play now. And I suppose it could just be variance and that the difference between the games wasn't as pronounced as the results might have led me to think. But I do know that I was deeply frustrated when I first started $0.50/$1.

Of course, now everything's good. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2007, 05:55 PM

well in my experience 25c/50c at stars has been ridiculously soft and 50c/1 has been harder. thats not to say it is a tough game...just that in my experience it seems to me that 25c/50c at stars is the limit to which many bad players get to but cant get past because they get chewed up and spat out at 50/1+. Of course lots make it higher or just start higher. you will be getting alot more shorthanded pots at 50c/1. just try and get decent seat selection against the 2-4 bad players at the table and youll do fine as long as you dont play scared.

btw this topic has been discussed alot in the past year in the micros...i just cant (be bothered) think(ing and trying) of a decent search string.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:21 PM

I struggle currently at 1/2 6 max I have no idea why except people are a little more aggressive but usually spew a ton and still miss value bets everywhere. Not running as well so break even after 5k hands here. Well down .14bb/100 which is $12.

Starting to make some adjustments myself to account for the change and position is a little bit more important at this level.

Minor differences though, I have played up to 5/10 previously and it wasn't until 5/10 that I noticed a diffence that effected win rate but then again its at 5/10 that the rake effect drops so that may be why.