Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2006, 10:40 AM

Default Top 5 Film OSTs (Original Sound Tracks)

I originally posted this in the forum of my film society - go there to see other people than mine's top 5s, as i'll only transcribe mine.

Bear in mind my selection is hampered by how few movies i've seen, but boosted by the fact that I prefer music to film (blasphemy!).

So:

Vangelis - Blade Runner OST. Brilliant work, picking an essentially time-neutral "trademark" synth (excepting an oldie blues-style number) soundtrack which nicely highlights the urban anomie which many of us will no doubt feel in 2019. Comments welcome on whether the use of synthesisers does in fact make it quintessentially 1980sish.

A Clockwork Orange OST - This film (and to a *much* lesser extent, Rollerball) showed that the safe bet is to use classical pieces. They'll never go out of fashion. Although "Singing In The Rain" may make your eyes water in the future. And the "William Tell Overture" may not be the record of choice whilst gettin' it oooooooon.

O Brother, Where Art Thou - An excellent, excellent collection of works from the country/bluegrass genre (also some plantation spirituals too). Ignoring the everso annoying "In the Highways" by Sarah, Hannah & Leah Peasall, this album is superb. Utterly superb. And meshes with the film fantastically.

Spawn OST. Comments about the movie aside (i'm sure it has some opponents), this is an excellent OST as it does something rarely seen - collaborations by two artists, sometimes terrible bipolar (Korn & The Dust Brothers? Marilyn Manson + Sneaker Pimps?? Butthole Surfers & Moby?? the list goes on). This album serves the musical community as it shows the indie snobs who pour recrimination on other genres only let themselves down by not hearing such a delicious blend.

John Williams - Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope OST. I guess it was inevitable that John Williams had to have *at least* one in the top 5. And I think this is it. Fantastic pieces which are now "standards" in the galaxy; the sweeping strings in "Binary Sunset" still send a tingle down my spine talking about it. Yeah, some people may say The Empire Strikes Back kicks it for the insertion of the Imperial March, but I think all it does is build on the more than brilliant original work in Episode 4.

Honourable Mentions go to Good Morning Vietnam, Trainspotting and Clueless for effectively setting time and space by soundtrack. I think what they lose out on is a lack of innovation and using the soundtrack to maximum effect, although the excellently assembled songs make up for this to an extent.

Fight Club's OST has something to it also, but i think it could be read as a modernist "Classical" soundtrack; using the Dust Brothers as orchestral leaders which helps the plot and premise most brilliantly. Honourable mention and maybe a sneaker into the top 6

The Pulp Fiction OST gets props because SO MANY people I know own it. Man, Tarantino and his cronies must have done more for some bands than anyone else (The Delfonics cashing in off the back of Jackie Brown, anyone?).

I have a soft spot for Baz Luhrmann's rendition of Romeo + Juliet; a really good assemblage of bands there, and considering the "unreality" of the setting, the music really, really lends something to it. A lot of good tunes on that one.

I deliberately left Woodstock OST off the list, as the films more damn music than soundtrack. If this was giving out a number one for music, Woodstock would be the winner by TKO.

EDIT: since writing this, I have listened to The Graduate OST a lot too, that is an excellent piece of work.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Top 5 Film OSTs (Original Sound Tracks)

The Vangelis Blade Runner is just awesome...i listen to it all the time
Old 05-06-2006, 02:24 PM

Check out the soundtrack to the Hot Spot. John Lee Hooker, Miles Davis and Taj Mahal playing together. The movie is OK but the soundtrack is exceptional. That is if you like the above musicians. Good driving music.

raisins
Old 05-06-2006, 03:39 PM

Although Killing Zoe may be just a mediocre flick in the popular style of the day, it had a great soundtrack of all original music that really helped set the mood of a lot of scenes.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Vangelis Blade Runner is just awesome...i listen to it all the time

[/ QUOTE ]

Favourite track? My overall favourite is "Memories of Green", but the harpy-intro on "Opening Theme" is incredible. Shame about the inane warbling of Harrison Ford over the top of the opening track on the OST, but can't be helped.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:23 PM

My top 5:

Blade Runner - obvious

Gladiator - I just love the music in this movie, especially the slower, sadder stuff

Pulp Fiction - obvious again

Get Carter - this is a bit sad really. I love the theme to this so much, it wins (the rest is a bit lame really)

you only live twice - This is the finest soundtrack john Barry did, and it's absolutely beautiful!
Old 05-06-2006, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A Clockwork Orange OST - This film (and to a *much* lesser extent, Rollerball) showed that the safe bet is to use classical pieces.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure that's it's necessarily a 'safe bet'.

I just don't think it is so easy to slap some classical piece into a scene and then say, "Yeah. any classical piece will work."

My favorite use of classical is the opera 'Carmen' in Bad News Bears. Seriously. It's truly terrific.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:19 PM

Some of my favorites have been hit on, so I'll just toss in some more:

Love and Death -- Great Prokofiev (sp?)

The Shining -- wonderfully ominous music accompanies the long, lonely drive to the Overlook Hotel; good use of action interspersed with sudden silence or the sudden cutting in of music throughout

Down by Law

Paris, Texas -- love that Ry Cooder

Thief

Grizzly Man

The Jungle Book(Disney old style, where the music enhances action rather than stopping it dead or inappropriately turning a kid's movie into a showpiece for romantic anthems and Broadway bombast

Upcoming -- I bet Miami Vice will use sound exceptionally well.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Shining -- wonderfully ominous music accompanies the long, lonely drive to the Overlook Hotel; good use of action interspersed with sudden silence or the sudden cutting in of music throughout

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh, good choice--Berlioz Symphony Fantastique--its a beautiful piece of music but I cannot separate it from The Shining.

I will also throw out there

Amedeus, Immortal Beloved, Fantasia, and Fantasia 2000. (Just give me classical and I am happy)

Also-Platoon--Ottis Reding Barber's Adagio for Strings

and Jaws-John Williams
Old 05-06-2006, 08:13 PM

"Empire Strikes Back" is the best Star Wars score. You're forgetting Yoda's Theme, Clash of the Lightsabers, and my personal favorite...The Asteroid Field.