Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 12:35 PM

Default Re: possible craigs list scam? makes no sense to me.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i've never understood how this could be a scam you are giving someone your bank account number and name, so uhh what could they do with this info other than transfer you money. it is quite common way to transfer money in australia.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. Isn't your bank account number, routing number, name and address on every paper check that you write? My wife still writes alot of checks and no one has ever stolen all our money.

Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

Try blank checks.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i've never understood how this could be a scam you are giving someone your bank account number and name, so uhh what could they do with this info other than transfer you money. it is quite common way to transfer money in australia.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. Isn't your bank account number, routing number, name and address on every paper check that you write? My wife still writes alot of checks and no one has ever stolen all our money.

Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

Plz PM me with that info. I'll bet you $50 I can get money out of your account. If I can't, I'll send you $50. If I can, I'll take just $50.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

Plz PM me with that info. I'll bet you $50 I can get money out of your account. If I can't, I'll send you $50. If I can, I'll take just $50.

[/ QUOTE ]

posting about committing felony bank fraud, risking years in federal prison all for $50?

sounds like a good crimson challenge
Old 07-23-2007, 02:11 PM

TomCollins is correct. With a bank account number, routing number, name and address you can print up checks or use a system like paypal to get money.

When I owned my web hosting company we had ach deposit system with wells fargo for autodebits. With just the routing and account number I could debit any bank account in the u.s.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

posting about committing felony bank fraud, risking years in federal prison all for $50?

sounds like a good crimson challenge

[/ QUOTE ]

If he gives me permission to take $50 out of his account, its not bank fraud.

In any case, if you don't believe me, go to E-trade or something similar if you have an account. You can transfer money into your e-trade account with only this information.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In any case, if you don't believe me, go to E-trade or something similar if you have an account. You can transfer money into your e-trade account with only this information.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to verify the account first, which involves them putting a small deposit in your account and you telling them how much it was. I think you might be able to take out up to a $100 without verifying the account, but thats pretty much too small of an amount to take for it to be worth it, especially since to get the money into the etrade account without getting caught would require you to have an alias and such.

There might be ways to draw larger amounts without verification that I don't know about, but I would assume that involves getting some kind of clearance and ID check that would make it easy to get caught if you withdrew money fraudulently.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
few months ago someone posted on Craigslist that they were moving and needed to get rid of all their furniture, clothes, home decor, linens, etc, etc

people came in droves and cleaned the house up...took everything inside and out

turned out the lady that posted the "moving out of town, come take my belongings for free" didn't own the house or even live there...she was pissed at her neighbor so she let the general public take all her stuff while she was out of town

the lady returned home and find out what happened and wants craiglist to take some of the blame...

[/ QUOTE ]
wow... lady got pwned bad....
Old 07-24-2007, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm renting out a room in the apartment i live in ( it's a 4 bedroom that i originally got with 3 friends but now i rent out the other 3 rooms since they all moved out over time ) in NYC. today i was showing the apartment to a bunch of people from craigs list... one guy came in "on behalf of his girlfriend" who is moving here from poland. he seemed like a pretty regular guy and seemed interested. he took 2 photos and told me that she would be emailing me about it.

she did and asked for the craigs list link again so she could review the description of the room. i sent her the link again and she said:

Hi Sir Eats A Lot

I would really like the room!! officially.... How do
we do w the rent?

Im in sweden so i can diposet the money to your bank
if you give me all numbers....

Sophia

i told her that i "had a bad experience with giving my bank account info out over the internet" ( which isn't true but i didn't want to sound like a jerk if she is legit ) and that i would prefer she deposit the money into her boyfriend's bank account and that he could give me the cash or a check.

i don't really see what she could do to me with my bank info but i'm curious if anyone thinks this is a scam. i guess i'll find out based on whether she emails me back or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really have to ask. WTF do you think it is. Its a scam. No one in sweden or any other foreign country want to rent your room.