Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Re: 400NL AT top pair reraised pot against a minraise from unknown

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've found a lot lot lot of people lately minraising with random stuff. So I'd just plan to get it in here.

Not a lot of room to play in a reraised pot with TP.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are likely to have random stuff calling is much better than shoving. If you shove the villain is forced to fold all weaker and will call you with hands that have you beat.

If you call you give a chance for his random hands to take another stab at the pot while minimizing your losses against hands that have you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you would call the flop, c/c nonclub turn, c/f river? Or would you c/r turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd check/call a non-club turn and check/call a non-club river.

If he has you beat he will probably keep his bets mid-size to try to keep you in the pot while extracting value. In this case he either ends up taking your whole stack by the end of the hand (which he would have if you shoved), or you may end up saving a little bit of money if he bets less.

By underplaying your hand the villain will play a much wider range here than if we shove. It may or may not save us money if he has us beat depending on how aggressively he plays it, but it will open the doors for worse hands to try to steal the pot from you. With an aggressive image, this line looks much weaker than it actually is.

His range for calling a shove is clubs, 2 pair, better aces, and a set. All hands we beat will fold.

If we under-represent our hand here those hands still exist, but he has a ton of bluff hands that can show up as well.

If he has us beat he will probably bet all streets and take a decent sum of money from us, but he would have taken our whole stack regardless if we had shoved.

If he doesn't have us beat he will probably lose extra money by trying to bluff us out or by value betting when he isn't actually ahead.

The only real downside to underplaying our hand here is that we may miss value against some pocket pairs or may even get sucked out on by them. Most players with a high PP will bet the river when checked into on the river by this line, so you shouldn't be missing out on much value there. If they hit a set it sucks, but it is a small risk compared to the edge you gain.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:20 PM

Nice post, xSCWx. I should probably call here, because if he minraised once, then it is a great chance that I will be able to play small pot OOP because he will continue to underbet. What do you think?
Old 11-06-2007, 03:27 PM

I ship it in here. His range is pretty polarized this early in the match and there's only 2-3 hands to worry about.

I hate this spot because you rarely get called with worse HOWEVER, the presence of the flush draw will broaden villain's calling range... some donks will call with any ace here.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:12 PM

I call here because of the reasons scw mentioned
Old 11-08-2007, 05:36 PM

i thought about it more and agree more with sticking it in because you're OOP. If I'm just calling here, it's because I'm not folding any turn or river and think he will bluff the rest off. Once you flat the flop a weak/scared ace isn't going to bet the turn, so just get it in now
Old 11-09-2007, 08:19 AM

I reraised all in, he called, and I couldn't believe that he had AK.