Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 03:58 PM

Default Re: What do you want to do when you grow up?

[ QUOTE ]

This is completely contrary to my experience. Maybe your acquaintances are pre-selected to be over-planning nits. There isn't even a point to planning too many years in advance in most business. All the information you have to make any decisions now will have completely changed.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct about small time businesses that have no plans to grow any larger and profitable.

But any business out there that has ambitions to grow larger and more profitable every year to reach a certain end goal... absolutely must plan its way to get there.

I can't think of 1 fortune 500 company that has only 2-3 year plans. I think the 2-3 year plan companies more often than not end up being that 90% statistic of businesses that disappear in 5 years.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"What did you want to do when you grew up?"

retire

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what I always said.

To what do you be when you grow up, the answer was rich
Old 09-02-2007, 05:36 PM

i honestly don't want to be rich. sure it would be cool, and if the question was would you rather be rich, or not. ok cool send the money. but it's just not something i want.

i never really wanted to be or do anything. if i had my way right now though, i'd be a university professor.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:59 PM

Why do so many people say college professor?
I wonder how many college professors wish they'd done something else.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of the tenured college professors I've met seem satisfied/fulfilled by their job, yet quite unhappy with life in general.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of the tenured college professors I've met seem satisfied/fulfilled by their job, yet quite unhappy with life in general.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because there's a lot of people who are dumber than them [academically] raking in moneys and hoes?
Old 09-02-2007, 07:42 PM

I noticed the common theme in this thread is to get rich doing whatever and then get a teaching position.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:04 PM

I want to earn enough money so when I'm out of school I can just donk around with investments/starting up businesses.
Would be pretty happy if one of them eventually became a big deal.

I think I'd be able to get a decent job on Wall Street,but I think poker is gonna ruin that for me.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:16 PM

1) What did you want to do when you grew up?

from age 8 until my Sophomore year of college - accountant (my mom was an accountant, I liked numbers). Before that, premier chef. (not sure why, just liked how it sounded)

2) Did you actively decide upon a career?

Not exactly. Sophomore year I realized accounting wasn't for me, and went for an operations management degree.

3) If so, is that the career you now have?

Not exactly. I'm in purchasing, a related field. My GF and I have a business as well, which is interesting. It's really her dream that I'm investing in/helping out with. Not that it's a bad thing at all- I don't think I'd ever have the drive to start one myself.

4) Do you have some "dream job" that you'd love to pursue but have not?

For a few years I wanted to go pro in volleyball- Didn't happen. I'd like to try the other side of the coin and get in sales, as I think my personality is more geared towards that. I'd love for the business to support us so I could pursue other interests (poker/working out/bettering myself in some way)

5) How old is too old to start a career from scratch?

Aside from athletics, I'd say as long as you have a sound mind, any point in your life you can pursuse what you'd like to do.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:01 PM

When my niece was 1 she used to ask me to pick her up a lot. "Picky me up!" Well, she also liked to throw things into the pool. Once she asked me to pick her up so she could drop a ball over the fence in there (the fence was closed at that time to keep her out of it). I told her to throw it over, and she said that she couldn't. I told her to try harder, and she still couldn't. So I sat her down, an explained to her that I wouldn't always be there to pick her up. If she really wanted to do it, she could do it on her own.

Anyhow, I go back to posting on the internet, or whatever it was I was doing at the time, and a few minutes later I see her pushing a chair across the deck to the fence. She gets up on the chair, and reaches up to drop her ball into the pool. Splash.

I don't think there's a more rewarding thing in the world than being a teacher. Especially when you can see the results in your students.

That said, I fly around the world doing tech consulting because it pays me more than anything else I can do right now.