Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 10:47 AM

Default 50-200NL AA utg goes for LRR.

My first orbit. We are 10 handed. I have $260 in front. Nobody knows me and the one hand I won was without showdown.

Hero has AA UTG and limps for $2, limp, fold, raise to $7, fold, fold, call, fold, SB folds, BB completes, <font color="red">Hero raises to $35... </font>

<font color="blue">Hero is raising $33 with $26 in dead money on the table. One caller is getting 59:28 or roughly 2:1. </font>

Standard?
Old 11-02-2007, 11:01 AM

Default Re: 50-200NL AA utg goes for LRR.

Disclaimer I have played very few hands NL and spent few hours trying to understand it's theory.

To me it seems like the raise is too small in one aspect, because you will be pot-commited on the flop (let's say you bet ~$100 on the flop). So in fact you are giving villain ~285:28, or about 10:1. If he holds a small pair he can call that.

But I don't know. On the same time we want a hand like AK, JJ to call, since they may give us action on the flop even if we have them beaten. So I think the bet size can be just fine.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:56 PM

Default Re: 50-200NL AA utg goes for LRR.

Well basically the rule here that I like to go with is that with a LRR the raise should be about pot-sized.

It looks like when it comes around to you there is $26 in the pot (3 guys in for $7, the SB, and 2 guys in for $2). You want to accomplish a couple things with a raise a) either everyone folds and you just take down the $26 or b) try to play the pot heads up. So, raising to $35 is a $28 raise. I think generally (and without reads) this is a good sized raise.

My only potential concern would be that in a typical live 1/2NL game you might have to raise more to get it HU. I mean if everyone calls you (which is highly unlikely) and there is $176 in the pot going to the flop you'll have to reevaluate but a pot-sized or slightly greater LRR is good/standard.