Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 07:03 PM

Default After a few winning sessions..

This happens to me alot. I have a few winning sessions, then basically tell myself that eventually im going to have a losing one. Regardless of my play, it's like after a few good days i'll go back and know this day is going to be a losing day. If I play bad, get drawn out on, run bad, etc. whatever it is I will just tell myself it doesn't really matter because I was bound to have one. On these days I know I have to be playing either BAD or very different from normal, but I just can't realize how to change it. Does this just seem retarded or does anyone else feel like this? On the other side, when I have a couple losing sessions, I feel the next couple of sessions I have I play better then normal, because I know I MUST win to even out variance etc.

I guess what i'm trying to say his, how do I find the balance.. the median where I can say like, today is just X day, yesterday means nothing compared to what I will do today. Yesterday didn't even happen and doesn't have any influence on how I will play today, I want it to be like that.. but no matter how hard I try my mind just reminds me of the past events and I know it is affecting my play.

EDIT: not sure if this thread should be in Theory or Psych. This is basically a theory if you think about it, but also very psychological. half and half I suppose.. idk [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].
Old 03-27-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Re: After a few winning sessions..

Stop thinking about sessions at all.

Only think about hands and individual decisions in a hand.

If you can't do this, then move down until you can.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Re: After a few winning sessions..

You can't win 'em all, but you shouldn't let that knowledge affect your game. If it does, quit for the day or take a break.
Flipping a coin that's hitting heads 10 times... Is it bound to fall tails next time to compensate? It would be more logical to assume it is rigged to fall heads more often today. If you are playing well don't stop because you fell like it will stop going your way. That would be quiting a good game, which is a mistake imo. If you are losing don't try to 'now it's tike to get lucky' or 'I owe this game 500 skansky dollars' or whatever. It is more probable that this is a bad game for you and you should stop. Do not let it affect your strategy though, that should not depend on your luck unless it changed your image or the table conditions (which are different things that you should always consider and stand completely apart from luck).

GL