Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Handwriting Analysis Describes your Personality Amazingly

Wow I was skeptical at first but this thing was fairly spot on for me.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:47 PM

I hate taking these kind of "personality tests" because the results always come back "Probable Serial Killer". Lousy no good society with its values...
Old 10-26-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forer_effect

[/ QUOTE ]

No, The fbi uses this stuff to profile criminals. I have a book on it also. It's legit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes the idiocy of the public makes me want to cry.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Is a big [censored]".

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 10-26-2007, 07:36 PM

this was creepily accurate about me. but of course, now im reading about the forer effect. so it's probably [censored]. fun nonetheless.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forer_effect

[/ QUOTE ]

No, The fbi uses this stuff to profile criminals. I have a book on it also. It's legit.

[/ QUOTE ]

O rly? And the police use psychic detectives to help solve cases. That's legit too.

Also, it seems no one bothered reading when I linked to the wiki article on graphology (the original term for analyzing handwriting psychologically - graphonomy is only used to make it sound more scientific), like this line here:

"Although supporters point to the anecdotal evidence of thousands of positive testimonials as a reason to use it for personality evaluation, empirical studies usually fail to show the validity claimed by its supporters"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphology
Old 10-26-2007, 08:40 PM

yeah, this stuff is BS. Just like horoscopes and phrenology and all that other crap. People think its accurate cuz the descriptions are vague and can fit anyone, or because the subject is looking to make the descriptions fit so they are more likely to do so.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:48 PM

One of my professors' wife does this sort of analysis for the FBI. Supposedly. Not this "type" but apparently there are a ton of things you can gather from handwriting samples. He was telling me a lot of the time it can narrow down where you learned to write, general education level, emotional state etc.

This one seems hooky, but I don't really see my professor making it up.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:54 PM

There are a couple of aspects of handwriting that make it more interesting to think about, such as:

Motor skills: your hand is controlled by your brain obviously. Some personality traits that manifest themselves in physical ways (think, large gestures, jittery etc vs quiet, still or a heavy vs light touch) are quite reasonable to infer that they show up in your handwriting.

Aesthetics: if everyone in a class learnt their penmanship together, would you expect their handwriting to be quite similar to each other? Not unreasonable...and I would say that the younger you are, the more similar your handwriting is to others. But some people develop more 'fancy' writing styles by choice (think, there are various ways to write certain letters, 'f' for example can be written quite differently). Chances are, if you develop a fancier writing style because you like it better, it could well indicate more flamboyance or independence than someone who's handwriting looks exactly the same as it did when they were 11 years old.

Finally - your signature: this is perhaps the best indicator of some personalty traits. They are the words you write more than anything else, and in most cases, it looks nothing like the way you would write your name as if they were simply words in a sentence. Why is that?

I did a study in graphology in my first year Pyschology degree (it seemed fun and easy), and while there were no major correlations with personality tests, there were some interesting results. Pop psychology-like generalisations like open/closed 'o's being an indicator of how well you keep secrets are not really valid, but play more on making analogies of letters with real-world situations. Another one is unjoined letters indicates a good imagination. These kind of descriptions are a bit silly, but other aspects shouldn't be dismissed quite as quickly.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:29 PM

Does anyone else have two distinct styles of handwriting? One of my fonts is the all capital method, which I use less than a "normal" style, but still fairly often.

Does this mean I have split personalities? I can't be the only person who alternates as far as handwriting can I?