Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 05:00 PM

Default Re: august goals thread

Achieved my unposted July goals, so high hopes for a successful Aug.

1) Hit my hand target without burning out
2) Continue to baby step my way toward increased mental toughness
3) Improve my blind play
4) Eat better
6) Spend more time outside
6) Resume regular runs + weekly vball
7) Hit the library
8) Reply to more posts and put up a few of my own
9) Mix in some 3/6 sooner rather than later if bankroll continues to recover at a reasonable pace
10) Stay positive and continue to let the money come to me in its own time

Best of luck and happy pokering to all.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:30 PM

1. Win 3K
2. Play 80 hours of LHE
3. Play at least 50 sats/donkaments, win monies
4. Take shots at 10/20
5. Start posting more
6. Read at least 1 poker book
7. Stop screaming when running bad so I cant talk like usual the next day
8. Improve my game especially turn play OOP and limped pots
9. Get healthy, [censored] knee why do you have to be [censored]?
10. Start losing weight
11. 5 BBQs
12. Fix some random things before the new students arrive to my frat (well not really a frat but sort of)
13. Get drunk at least 3 times, gotta get the tolerans up after the summer
Old 08-01-2007, 08:19 AM

Poker
-40k hands and / or Supernova
-Stop calling down everything when I'm on a losing streak
-Stay at 2/4 the whole month, regardless of results / wins.

Life
-Go to school from 9-16 when school starts. And actually read, not goof around.
-Actually make 3 meals a day, and not throw a frozen pizza in the oven every time I'm hungry.
-Keep my apartment tidy.

Should be able to do the poker goals fairly easy. Playing a billion of ss tables generates many hands quickly. I used to play 5/10 and 10/20 a year ago, but I cashed out and I'm rebuilding my roll at the moment, so because I'm way in the red at 2/4 now I'm gonna stay there regardless of bankroll until I'm in the green again.

Life goals should be harder, I'm very lazy and staying 7 hours at school every day will be hard. Hell even getting up before 9 should be hard.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:41 PM

* Play 5/10 SH exclusively, maximum of 3 tables
* Table select for specific players, not just table averages
* Play less, study more. Spend 1 hour on pokerstove / play analysis for every 3 hours of play.
* Reread Stox book
* Profit
Old 08-01-2007, 04:48 PM

Play 20k hands
Get to showdown more
take some shots at higher games
Get a ton of ARP points, made the mistake of cashing out
when I hit 100k a couple months ago..now I would of had 200k..arggh
Old 08-01-2007, 05:09 PM

Continue to believe in Pohl's basic philosphy of short-handed play (as quoted below) and stay away from multi-tabling.

In short-handed games, a winning player does one fundamental thing that sets him or her apart from the losing player. They adjust their own play to their opponents to capitalize on their opponents' mistakes. Being observant and adjusting one's playing style is the most important requirement for being a winning short-handed player. First, with a higher rate of hands played, an observant player can pick up the tendencies and playing style of opponents much more quickly.

Of course, there are many, many individual inclinations that can be exploited with a good counterstrategy (e.g. a player might fold too often to raises or check raises, they might not call enough in the blinds or they might call too much, or a player might fold too often on the end). There seem to be almost infinite possibilities. It might seem obvious, but almost every tendency can be countered. And in shorthanded play, strong card reading, psychology, and observation skills will result in opportunities for +EV players quickly and often.

All a winning player has to know is how to read those tendencies quickly and counter them effectively. But of course, therein lies the rub. Reading trends and understanding other players can be very difficult, and finding the best defense is harder yet. And in the real world, your opponents will not always be predictable. They will vary their play or will adjust to your counterstrategies. Your goal is to prepare ahead, and be ready to adjust quicker than your opponent. To be a winning player, you will always be one step ahead, outguessing, outthinking, and outplaying each opponent.

Jason Pohl
Old 08-01-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Continue to believe in Pohl's basic philosphy of short-handed play (as quoted below) and stay away from multi-tabling.

In short-handed games, a winning player does one fundamental thing that sets him or her apart from the losing player. They adjust their own play to their opponents to capitalize on their opponents' mistakes. Being observant and adjusting one's playing style is the most important requirement for being a winning short-handed player. First, with a higher rate of hands played, an observant player can pick up the tendencies and playing style of opponents much more quickly.

Of course, there are many, many individual inclinations that can be exploited with a good counterstrategy (e.g. a player might fold too often to raises or check raises, they might not call enough in the blinds or they might call too much, or a player might fold too often on the end). There seem to be almost infinite possibilities. It might seem obvious, but almost every tendency can be countered. And in shorthanded play, strong card reading, psychology, and observation skills will result in opportunities for +EV players quickly and often.

All a winning player has to know is how to read those tendencies quickly and counter them effectively. But of course, therein lies the rub. Reading trends and understanding other players can be very difficult, and finding the best defense is harder yet. And in the real world, your opponents will not always be predictable. They will vary their play or will adjust to your counterstrategies. Your goal is to prepare ahead, and be ready to adjust quicker than your opponent. To be a winning player, you will always be one step ahead, outguessing, outthinking, and outplaying each opponent.

Jason Pohl

[/ QUOTE ]

or you can sit next to the 65/4/.5 guys and let the monies roll in
Old 08-01-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Jason Pohl

[/ QUOTE ]

or you can sit next to the 65/4/.5 guys and let the monies roll in

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly!

[ QUOTE ]
* Table select for specific players, not just table averages

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-01-2007, 10:25 PM

15k hands.
Play better than last month.
Take some more shots at NL.
Pay my traffic fines (got notice that a warrant of arrest has been issued).
Go to gym regularly.
Eat more healthy food.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:02 PM

I'm aiming for at least 20K hands.
Make it to consistently playing 2/4
Keep playing donkaments
show profit
post in this forum more