Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2006, 02:13 AM

Default Random weight-lifting question

The last weight lifting thread surprised me by suggesting that proper rest period btwn leifting is 48-72 hours, not the 48 hours I always assumed. So... Is there a detriment in waiting longer? That is, were one to lift once every 4 days, would you still gain muscle mass at the same rate? If two lifters started at the same muscle mass, one lifted once every other day, the second lifted once every fourth day, who would be bigger after 50 workouts?

Edit: Or how bad should I feel if I missed today's workout if I'm going to make it up tomorrow.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:22 AM

Default Re: Random weight-lifting question

Is being bigger your main goal, or just one you fell into because that seems to be the most popular way of looking at weight lifting?
Old 06-09-2006, 02:24 AM

I just started getting exercising myself but from what I understand your rest peroid should be at least 1 day off. Your muscles grow in the 48hours or so after you lift. Although that's not to say that is set in stone. If you're still sore you shouldn't be lifting.

Also, waiting longer won't help you get bigger quicker, if that were true more people would only be working out twice a week. Common practice is 1-2days off in between workouts.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:27 AM

I believe that how often you should work out depends on your genetic makeup (mainly testosterone levels) and that some people will benefit more from spacing their workouts as their bodies will not recuperate as fast.

However with a BMI of 18 I am probably the world worst bodybuilder so we'll see what those who know wtf they're talking about say.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:29 AM

well that's an interesting question....

There are two forms of confidence that can be derived from lifting;

1. Bigger=more attractive = easier to approach women.

2. Bigger=strong = more confidence in male-only situations (fighting, sports, etc)

However, I think the biggest thing for me is feeling good about myself for taking care of my body. Thusly, it doesn't really matter how big I get, so long as I stick to the schedule and lift every time I told myself I would. Thusly, by missing the workout today, I lose.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your muscles grow in the 48hours or so after you lift.

[/ QUOTE ]

So... If I choose one random day in a year, lift that one day, my muscles WILL grow in the next 48 hours? Or, do I need to continualy remind my muscles that they are not done growing by lifting in a regular schedule (whatever that regualr schedule might be)?
Old 06-09-2006, 02:54 AM

As far as I know, when you lift, it creates small tears in your muscles, then when you rest, the muscles repair themselves and get bigger. But then again, I'm just an ex high school football player who tore up his knee and got fat
Old 06-09-2006, 03:04 AM

You would probably grow the biggest with more rest and paying special attention to technique and nutrition - not lifting iuntil you feel absolutely at 100%, but it could become harder to stay in the habbit of going to the gym if you are only going 2-3 times a week. I think a good schedule for a two day routine is A B off A B off B. Or for a 3 day routine A B C off A B C.

Either way, whatever schedule and routines you use, the most important thing is sticking with it. I have lifted for 3-4 month stretches several times, and at the end of each period I had gained 10-15lbs in muscle mass and increased my one rep max in most excercises by 60-100%. But, then I slack off and do nothing for 6 months and have to basically start all over again.

-SmileyEH
Old 06-09-2006, 03:07 AM

Whether you do a body part once or twice a week is not going to make that much of a difference, as long as you hit it hard. Many believe that the longer one is in the gym, the better the results are going to be. They'll be lifting 6x a week and never touch a treadmill. Cardio is just as important (gets that layer of fat off, lets the muscles shine through). And equally as crucial is your diet. Be a shame to do all that work, then chow down pizza and burgers every night. No saturated fats or processed carbs, nothing white (bread, pasta, rice etc...).
Old 06-09-2006, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your muscles grow in the 48hours or so after you lift.

[/ QUOTE ]

So... If I choose one random day in a year, lift that one day, my muscles WILL grow in the next 48 hours? Or, do I need to continualy remind my muscles that they are not done growing by lifting in a regular schedule (whatever that regualr schedule might be)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your muscles will grow right after a workout, but they will be so fatigued from not excercising for so long that you won't actually be stronger until maybe 4 days to a week afterward. But yes, if you didn't touch a dumbell for a year, did a routine, and came back a week later you could probably add a rep on every excercise.

-SmileyEH