Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Easy call with JJ to big overpush pre?

Cornell i am not saying i disagree because i do agree... but how about this thinking...

i bubble a [censored] load of mtts by being aggressive on the bubble, i really dont care about cashing i play to FT then play to win...

But usually when i bust its pushing not calling i hate to call off and bust...

I want to win so i want to keep chipping up but is a race here really the best thing?

If i think i have an advantage over at least half the field, if i feel i am strong enough to at least make some moves and try to chip up then is it really the best thing to call off all your chips in a race?

Just a thought for discusion i could be way off

What i guess i am trying to say is yes i make this call almost every time because i am more often ahead and dominating than not...

But in a general sense if you have 6900 with a 300bb are you willing to race for your mtt life even if you are on the + end of the 55/45 or do you wait for a better place?
Old 07-19-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I want to win so i want to keep chipping up but is a race here really the best thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the best thing is 66/77-TT, which is very highly probable over 2/3 "racing" hands- AK and maybe AQ, that might wanna open up unpaired reshipping ranges.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I know it is a call because i am ahead, but being ahead by so much is it really worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

In short, yes it is, actually. There's no need to repeat what the posters above said. You need to get this concept ingrained in your head, though. You should want the positive side of a flip to possibly double up here. If you don't take it, you will probably just bust soon anyway.

You should be salivating, not sweating.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But in a general sense if you have 6900 with a 300bb are you willing to race for your mtt life even if you are on the + end of the 55/45 or do you wait for a better place?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much nobody is good enough to pass up this kind of edge in a tournament when you take into consideration the factors of tournament poker (blind levels, stack sizes, etc). While you may have a skill advantage and a rather considerable skill advantage you simply cannot pass this up.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those wondering I did call.. I assumed he had 77-TT here enough that i had to call..

He had KQ and i was racing...

Now I DO NOT care about results and as soon as he pushed i thought i need to post this hand win or lose (i lost), im just wondering what your thought is... If someone did that and put there cards face up is it really a smap call. I have 6900 with 300bb... i have enough FE to resteal a hand and steal a blind or 2 to keep me chipping up.

I know it is a call because i am ahead, but being ahead by so much is it really worth it.

thanks for the input

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the results are relevant because they refute the claims that he would never do this with something like 88. I'm a little surprised to see KQ, but the fact remains, yes, mediocre hands are in the guy's range! AA/KK are pretty unlikely when a guy shoves 25xBB at this stage in a tournament.

I call all day with JJ, I probably call with TT, I at least consider it with 99. My philosophy is that people overplay small/medium pairs so often that you're virtually forced to call with the higher pairs just to punish them.

The same goes for calling with AK in your spot... yes, sometimes the guy will have a pair and you'll be upset with yourself for taking a coinflip. But sometimes he'll have KQ, and that's why you shouldn't be upset with yourself the other times!

One of the greatest fallacies in poker is to always put the other guy on a hand that will be a coinflip. When you have AK, you expect a pair, and when you have a pair, you expect two big cards. But it's just not that way. While it might be an interesting question to ask if you should call if the cards were face up (yes, I think you should), the cards aren't face up, and you absolutely have to call because you might be dominating him and you're unlikely to be getting dominated. Simple as that in my book.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think the results are relevant because they refute the claims that he would never do this with something like 88. I'm a little surprised to see KQ, but the fact remains, yes, mediocre hands are in the guy's range! AA/KK are pretty unlikely when a guy shoves 25xBB at this stage in a tournament.

I call all day with JJ, I probably call with TT, I at least consider it with 99. My philosophy is that people overplay small/medium pairs so often that you're virtually forced to call with the higher pairs just to punish them.

The same goes for calling with AK in your spot... yes, sometimes the guy will have a pair and you'll be upset with yourself for taking a coinflip. But sometimes he'll have KQ, and that's why you shouldn't be upset with yourself the other times!

One of the greatest fallacies in poker is to always put the other guy on a hand that will be a coinflip. When you have AK, you expect a pair, and when you have a pair, you expect two big cards. But it's just not that way. While it might be an interesting question to ask if you should call if the cards were face up (yes, I think you should), the cards aren't face up, and you absolutely have to call because you might be dominating him and you're unlikely to be getting dominated. Simple as that in my book.

[/ QUOTE ]

fnurt=goot
Old 07-19-2007, 09:03 PM

Instacall