Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Re: NL: Why the hate on short buy-ins?

because he prefers to play a cash game?
Old 04-06-2007, 04:33 PM

What if a full stack loses 60% of his stack and is now short stacked? Is he now scum too?

The Vip program on Stars makes it a lot more profitable to buy in for minimum at higher games for multi tablers.

According to my PokerTracker, one of the players with the highest win rate always buys in for half the maximum.

If you buy in for half, you need half the bankroll.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:21 PM

half buyin is not the same as a shortstacker--not even close
Old 04-06-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Short stackers are skilless nitwits, ban them from all sites ASAP. It must be tough waiting for AQ+ and pushing all in without risking anything and f'ing up all the action at the table. Try buying in for more than 20bb's sometime and we can play some real poker you fishcakes

[/ QUOTE ]

A skillless nitwit would be one who was unable to come up with a counter strategy to such a simple strategy and instead spent his time on startegy sites calling people names and demanding that they get banned.

Signed: "Fishcakes."

Location: Pushbotting at "real poker" players [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2007, 01:01 AM

10BB= Tee ball
20BB= Hard batting cage
100BB= Minor League

EDIT: The point is, 10BB is nothing comapred to 20BB.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1. Short stacking sends your variance through the roof.

[/ QUOTE ]

PLEASE TELL ME TODAY IS OPPOSITE DAY

[/ QUOTE ]

When you're short stacking you're usually going to be getting the money in as about 60/40 on average. When you play regularly stacked, you're often pretty far ahead when all the money goes in. And the blinds will have a much larger impact on the shortstack's bottom line with each rotation taking about 7% of your buyin - running cold hurts. It's perfectly reasonable to play normal stacked with 20 buyins, but you'd be completely insane to play short stacked with only 20 short buyins.

[/ QUOTE ]

HELLO, I AM A COMBO DRAW. I GO ALL IN FOR 100BB. I AM A COINFLIP WHEN CALLED.

Playing a 20 "short buyin" roll is patently retarded. I poop out 20 buyin swings.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1. Short stacking sends your variance through the roof.

[/ QUOTE ]

PLEASE TELL ME TODAY IS OPPOSITE DAY

[/ QUOTE ]

When you're short stacking you're usually going to be getting the money in as about 60/40 on average. When you play regularly stacked, you're often pretty far ahead when all the money goes in. And the blinds will have a much larger impact on the shortstack's bottom line with each rotation taking about 7% of your buyin - running cold hurts. It's perfectly reasonable to play normal stacked with 20 buyins, but you'd be completely insane to play short stacked with only 20 short buyins.

[/ QUOTE ]

HELLO, I AM A COMBO DRAW. I GO ALL IN FOR 100BB. I AM A COINFLIP WHEN CALLED.

Playing a 20 "short buyin" roll is patently retarded. I poop out 20 buyin swings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree that short stackers would 'poop out 20 buyin swings'... hence my comment about short stacking increasing your variance.

Glad to see you agree.. in your own special way.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:13 PM

This has probably already been pointed out, but what the hey:

In Sklanky/Malmuth's NLHE book, they list two distinct advantages to playing shortstacked:

1) A table's deeper stacks are more likely to play more loosely with each other than they will with short stacks. Ergo, if you can get in on a pot while holding aces or kings or a good hand, you will be favored to win.

2) In a multiway pot where you (as a short stack) have to go all-in, subsequent betting can force other players (with better hands) to fold, eliminating competition and improving your odds to win.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:03 PM

I fluctuate between Full buy in and half buy in and its good practice for me I've found. Not that I recommend it for everyone though.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:08 PM

I have no problem myself with people buying in for 20bbs because they like playing a short stack strategy or they are just taking a shot. I do have a problem with a person that doubles up and leaves and makes this way of playing a habit. This is what kills games and makes them less fun and I only play for the fun of the game and to gambol. Say if I am playing a home game with some friends and someone does this hitnrun stategy like fatalerror does I can garuntee u that he will not only not be invited to play with us he will be kicked out of the game cuz that style of playing is completely inconsiderate and that is just a VERY NICE way to put it. Poker is a game, a game that u play with other people and I feel that using this hit n run strategy is not the way to keep this game fun and keep it a game for everyone that is playing. For that reason I think there should be a change in the min buy in or the time to buy back in to the game. I would much rather see the buyin time changed then the min buyin cuz short stakers are usually horrible players.