Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 11-28-2007, 12:46 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues
Default Re: Ben Stein: XLF - Financial SPDR

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's been saying that for awhile. And he's been wrong the whole time. If he thinks people hate financials now, he'll get a real eyefull 6 months from now.

[/ QUOTE ]

im short XLF. ben stein is crazy. you should really stay on the sidelines if you aren't aware of the problems brewing.

[/ QUOTE ]

please educate us.

imo, there are a few financials that are bottoming right now. like citigroup. i mean they are taking charges now that pretty much everyone is going to have to take 6 months from now. of course, C can go a lot lower, but i think this winter is the right time to accumulate bottoming financials. please note that XLF does not fall into this category.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's been saying that for awhile. And he's been wrong the whole time. If he thinks people hate financials now, he'll get a real eyefull 6 months from now.

[/ QUOTE ]

im short XLF. ben stein is crazy. you should really stay on the sidelines if you aren't aware of the problems brewing.

[/ QUOTE ]

please educate us.

imo, there are a few financials that are bottoming right now. like citigroup. i mean they are taking charges now that pretty much everyone is going to have to take 6 months from now. of course, C can go a lot lower, but i think this winter is the right time to accumulate bottoming financials. please note that XLF does not fall into this category.

[/ QUOTE ]

wish i could go over everything but long story short is the fact that credit is going to be harder and more expensive to come by and this industry is very dependent on such needs. Lots of off balancesheet write offs are still ready to come and we dont know precisely which banks these are dispersed among.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably wouldn't invest in it now, but maybe in the near future? The financials are not going to stay down forever, and it may be the best buying opportunity when all is said and done.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe in a few years. Stay away for the forseeable furture, the bottom is far from where we are today.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

please educate us.

[/ QUOTE ]

wish i could go over everything but long story short is the fact that credit is going to be harder and more expensive to come by and this industry is very dependent on such needs. Lots of off balancesheet write offs are still ready to come and we dont know precisely which banks these are dispersed among.

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer to that is: All of 'em.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:43 AM

I know of some what I consider savvy folks that are short XLF and long SKF. Clearly there's a credit crunch going on but IMO hard to forsee what government and central banks will do in response. Might be time to buy not sure. I'll admit I don't have the stones to get involved at this time. If residential real estate prices fall a lot more then we could see more problems as these problems have a "snowball" effect in other areas. I guess you could just buy GS and not worry too much.