Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Stud Hi (A startling finding)

The way you played this hand makes me scratch my head. Just why did you call on 3rd? And how could you justify the call on 4th? And the call on 5th? With a pair of 10's with one other 10 in someone else's hand against two other hands, both of which probably have hands that can beat your pair of 10's; the only thing that would make sense then would be to fold or raise to try to get it heads-up and pray to catch the last 10 or pair the A on 6th or 7th. But your play on 3rd and 4th just has me confused.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:41 PM

Fold hand on 3rd.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hand one: Serves you right for calling Third and Fourth.

And Fifth.

[/ QUOTE ]

[b]7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $0.50

[/ QUOTE ]
OP is just a typical 1/2 donk. Fold 3rd, 4th, and 5th.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ward, don't be so hard on the Beaver. The guy got stuck with the bring-in, has a live buried A and a two flush, is getting 10:1 on a call and even in the worst case has 15% equity in a 4-way pot. If the other highly regarded villains don't have what they are repping, then it could be much better for the Beav. Stick in your 4-bits I say and try not to run into two over boats
Old 10-19-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ward, don't be so hard on the Beaver. The guy got stuck with the bring-in, has a live buried A and a two flush, is getting 10:1 on a call and even in the worst case has 15% equity in a 4-way pot. If the other highly regarded villains don't have what they are repping, then it could be much better for the Beav. Stick in your 4-bits I say and try not to run into two over boats

[/ QUOTE ]

3rd, 4th, and 5th are bad, a typical loose 1/2 play. Obviously, you don't expect to make an underboat, but typically you can make your hand by playing this junk and it will be 2nd best.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:58 PM

Having 15 percent equity and being able to extract it are two different things. The equity is based on hot-and-cold showdown, not hands played dynamically, and having 15 percent equity in a tiny 4-way pot is not a strong argument for continuing.

As seen in the actual hand, a crappy starting hand, while it has some equity, often becomes difficult to play later: you can't get full value when ahead and lose extra money when behind.

If you start with a crappy hand and "improve" to a marginal losing hand, you are making the implied odds work against you, something you should scrupulously avoid. While an underboat is an extreme example, making payoff hands like one or two pair are common. Dumping unimproved later is actually getting off easy in a lot of cases.

The opportunity cost of folding third is 75 cents. Losing less than that (or actually making money) by playing on will require perfect play, cooperative opponents and the cards breaking our way. Skip it and move on.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
having 15 percent equity in a tiny 4-way pot is not a strong argument for continuing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tiny is a relative term (or so my wife keeps telling me). The pot is $5 (or will be once the ep limper re-limps) and it's 50c to the hero. Plus, as I said, the actual cards the villains held were just about the worst case for the hero (unless someone was rolled up), and he's probably closer to 20% in most cases. It's not a terrible trap hand in this spot either (like the split 6's of seat 1) since it's pretty easy to get away from if villain doesn't catch a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or an A. It was a pretty long shot that all villains would appear to brick on 4th and 5th and hero catches a T for 2nd best pair as well. I wouldn't suggest playing it vs. grizzled old veterans at 150/300, but good chance the average 1/2er will pay hero off just as often as hero will have to pay them.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:51 AM

Fold third.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:52 AM

You probably put in too much action on sixth street.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:55 AM

I find it unlikely that you have had Tens-full enough to draw any conclusions.