Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-13-2007, 03:27 AM

Default Another Investment Fish Seeks Advice

Hi Guys,

A few reading this may know me personally - most don't. Like many of you, I am a 20 year old successful poker player. Now, I'd like to set myself up for the future as best as possible. Here's where I'm at right now:

180k in a series of Oakmark mutual funds that my "financial advisor" sold me on. I've got "The Oakmark Fund" "The Oakrmark Select Fund" and "The Oakmark Global Select Fund." My parents seem to think these things are great but I'm not sure they are the most educated in these matters. I do consider them intelligent, safe investors who have done well for themselves though.

I also have a really good connection who has gotten me into the "Citadel" Hedge Fund as of the first of this month. I have put $50,000 dollars into this one. From what I hear it's one of the best in the world and this is a tremendously profitable investment from an EV standpoint although it carries some risk. With the credit cruch, should I be looking to put more into this for my next investment?

Or, should I be looking elsewhere? The reality is I'd rather spend the time playing poker than looking into invidual stocks when I know I'm a fish in that game or at the very best SLIGHTLY more + EV than an index fund.

I take it I shouldn't be looking at a house until the market crashes a bit more? So my questions are numerous.

First - is this Oakmark thing a good investment, a great investment, or pretty mediocre? My sense is that it's mediocre-decent but I could be wrong.

Second - should I pour more money into Citadel, as it has the highest EV I'm sure, even though it's somewhat risky I suppose.

Third - should I further diversify into an index fund perhaps? Would I do better with Venguard index fund type thing than this oakmark? Should I switch my money over?

Let's see what you guys think and then I'll add a couple more questions and thoughts. I'm sorry in advance if this is so basic - I really know nothing about this stuff.