Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 03:59 AM

Default I tried online poker for the first time today

I put twenty dollars onto pokerstars. (don't say I should only have a bankroll of 1 buy in, my debit card has enough for more than 20 as it is and that is essentially my bankroll) I got the 20 up to 100 then dumped it all back on 3 very big suck outs.

Should I be taking my money off the table after I've tripled or doubled up on one table to cut back on variance? How much wider do I need to broaden the hands that I put people on now that I'm playing online? Any just general advice for someone moving from live to online?
Old 10-27-2007, 04:07 AM

Default Re: I tried online poker for the first time today

first general rule.. get tracking software like pokertracker, pokerace hud and/or realtime hud. that's the best way to figure out opponent's range. I think if you're playing outside your bankroll limitations it's probably a good idea to leave while ahead. if you have more than 10% of your bankroll on one table you will eventually get gamblers ruin and risk losing it all even with optimum play
Old 10-27-2007, 04:12 AM

Twenty dollars is not really enough to employ an effective bankroll strategy. If you are going to take a shot with $20, then you should stay at the smallest stakes available until you can build a roll for higher stakes. If you made it to 100, and lost it on 3 suckouts, then you were playing way to high. As a general rule, you should never be gambling with more than 5% of your bankroll.

I would research bankroll management and also Kelly Criterion.

Also, I would spend alot of time sifting, reading and learning through all the threads in the beginners forum for the past couple of months. There are some gems in there that experienced players could use. The stickies in unl and ssnl are also a wealth of info. It could take quite a while to read all the material, but I promise it will pay dividends.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:16 AM

They have poker online now?
Old 10-27-2007, 04:18 AM

Well as I said while I'm playing online my debit card will be my bankroll, so the $20 was not my entire bankroll, I have well over 20 buy ins. Thats not what I'm worried about, it's the variance involved here. I will check out the beginner's forum though, thanks.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:44 AM

Variance is part of the game. Since you're new to online, then go ahead and leave when significantly up if you know you'll feel like [censored] losing it all back. As you gain more experience you'll learn to deal with the swings. If you find yourself on a juicy table though you shouldn't leave unless you're tired or on tilt. If you think you're being outmatched and get lucky, hit and run. But yeah, get PT and PAHud and work on your game if you want to improve.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that just bad terminology on my part or is this more of a "We've landed on the moon" line?

Thanks for the tip, looking back I definitely should have left after winning 3x my buy in seeing as how I am trying to put as little from debit onto stars right now. I'll look into getting PT tomorrow.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:18 AM

Play within your bankroll. Even if you are playing well at a limit, variance can kill you. I learned this the hard way and I am glad I did.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:20 AM

I currently play 200NL live and am very conservative, I keep 40-50 buy ins for it, so 25nl is well within my range. Thanks for the advice though.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the betting it's rigged?
Closed Thread