Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Re: The APPT Macau: The First Texas Hold’em Poker Tournament in China!

I am going to have at least a few days free to be a tourist. Can anyone recommend things to do? I would like to get out of Macau for a day at least, but assume I can only go to Hong Kong without a visa? What sort of Chinese cultural stuff is there to do?
Old 10-30-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am going to have at least a few days free to be a tourist. Can anyone recommend things to do? I would like to get out of Macau for a day at least, but assume I can only go to Hong Kong without a visa? What sort of Chinese cultural stuff is there to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

You won't need a visa to go to HK if you have a US passport.

(Mainland China requires a visa: USD$100.)

I am planning to spend 2 days in Hong Kong as well, probably on Monday and Tuesday (November 26, 27).

The usual stuff catering to western tourists (i.e. mid-range to high-end shopping, museums, etc.) is available in the Tsim Sha Tsui harbourfront on the Kowloon side near the Star Ferry Terminal.

The Star Ferry from Tsim Sha Tsui to Central (less than 10 minutes to get across the harbor) is the biggest bargain there is, at HKD $2.30 (about USD$0.35) each way on the upper deck (I don't recommend the lower deck unless you don't mind the rock hard bench seats).

http://www.starferry.com.hk/new/en/index.asp

The bird's eye view from Victoria Peak is another one not to be missed. The "Peak Tram" is the most efficient way to get up to "The Peak". HKD $33 (USD $8.50) roundtrip (locals tell me to avoid the "Peak Tower Sky Terrace", which is an overpriced tourist trap).

http://www.thepeak.com.hk/full/en/peak_tram_fee.php

--

Hotels in Hong Kong are relatively expensive if you are staying at a hotel near a station the MTR underground subway rail system on either the Hong Kong or Kowloon side. (Expect to pay at least HKD$1000 a night, or USD$130, for a room at a "3-star" hotel that is up to minimum western standards with internet access, if you want to stay near the MTR system.)

I found a 4-star hotel (MetroPark Hotel Kowloon, on 75 Waterloo Road) for HKD$622 (about USD$80) a night with free broadband internet, free use of swimming pool and fitness center, and a handful of satellite TV channels. This hotel is well off the beaten path, i.e. more than a mile from an MTR stop. I will have to rely on the hotel shuttle bus or the KMB public buses (www.kmb.hk), but I speak Cantonese so I won't have a problem with the public buses even though I haven't been in Hong Kong for 29 years.

--

As usual, watch out for "pick pockets" in any crowded. They thrive on public buses, in bus queues, at MTR stations, and just about any tourist area where people are distracted just enough to be prey upon.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a pretty good thread about what to do in HK in the travel forum.

If you've never been there, I think you'll really enjoy it. It's my favorite city in Asia. (It can be expensive though.)
Old 10-30-2007, 09:24 PM

Hi I have advanced to step 6 for the APPT-Macau and have been excited to play it until I realized something important, I never have traveled outside the U.S. so I have never purchased a passport. The tournament is a little bit over three weeks away and I am wondering how long does it take to actually get a U.S. passport? I have heard anything from 3-6 weeks, is there anyway to get one faster or perhaps something temporary?
Old 10-30-2007, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi I have advanced to step 6 for the APPT-Macau and have been excited to play it until I realized something important, I never have traveled outside the U.S. so I have never purchased a passport. The tournament is a little bit over three weeks away and I am wondering how long does it take to actually get a U.S. passport? I have heard anything from 3-6 weeks, is there anyway to get one faster or perhaps something temporary?

[/ QUOTE ]

Expedited processing is available if you are willing to travel to a regional passport agency and pay the expedited processing fee of $60.

You will get your US passport within 14 days.

You will have to make an appointment with the nearest regional passport agency.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/abo...ncies_913.html
Old 10-30-2007, 09:59 PM

Def nothin temporary man...I know you can get some type of rush service...Id say use google...

Anyways, if anyone plans to visit the mainland, send me a pm. Im a 25 year old american and live in Guangzhou, which is about 50 minutes away by Ferry.

Hopefully Ill make it to macua for some sattys.

ALSO! If there are ANY tennis fans out there, I believe the date is 11/26- (im trying to get tickets) but anyways Pete Sampras will be playing Roger Fed. in Macua, which should be cool.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:57 PM

How will the people who don't have Pokerstars accounts get paid? Will these people be unable to play in the tournament?

I don't have a PS account.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Expedited processing is available if you are willing to travel to a regional passport agency and pay the expedited processing fee of $60.

You will get your US passport within 14 days.

You will have to make an appointment with the nearest regional passport agency.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/abo...ncies_913.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info and I have an update, I have qualified for APPT-Macau on step 6 but I looked at the list of the nearest regional passport agencies and the closest is Chicago and I live in North Dakota. This would not be worth it for me to travel their just to expedite the passport. I also emailed stars about somehow selling the seat and they said it cannot be done no matter what. So tomorrow I will go to the passport agency in town and hope to get it here by the time I leave, which will be the 20th or 21st.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info and I have an update, I have qualified for APPT-Macau on step 6 but I looked at the list of the nearest regional passport agencies and the closest is Chicago and I live in North Dakota. This would not be worth it for me to travel their just to expedite the passport. I also emailed stars about somehow selling the seat and they said it cannot be done no matter what. So tomorrow I will go to the passport agency in town and hope to get it here by the time I leave, which will be the 20th or 21st.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I know, with the added requirements for passports for travel to Canada and Mexico, etc., you'll never get it in time through normal government channels, even expedited service.

However, there are companies who take your application in person and can turn them around in a few days to a week. They're pricey, but get the job done. I got new passports and China visas for six people this summer in a couple weeks. I used Travisa.

I've used them for multiple passport and visa issues over the years with a good success rate. (I did have one issue where my renewed passport came back to me listing my sex as male, when I'm actually female. Pretty sure the screw up was with the government, but they still should have caught it before it was sent to me.)

There are other similar services out there. This just happens to be the one I've worked with. Whoever you choose to use, read all the directions very carefully. Call if you have any questions, etc.

So, you can definitely get your passport in time, but it will cost you in fees.

Congrats on qualifying!
Old 10-31-2007, 04:09 AM

How many people registered for the main event so far? I am going to play in this event for sure. If i cant qualify online, i want to buy-in directly on-site for both events.