Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Trip Report: First time I was fired from a job.

Cliffs notes at end.

I was a summer camp counselor the summer of 1989. I was 17. The season was 10 weeks, with campers staying one week at a time (Monday – Friday).

My duty was “Rifle Range Officer.” I was also a certified lifeguard at the time but the camp had plenty of lifeguards and I was the only one with previous experience in rifle safety training. Previously, I had assisted (on a volunteer basis) as a firearm safety instructor for the MN DNR firearms safety training courses offered for kids.

One thing they (the camp managers, etc.) told me was that it was necessary to call a cease-fire any time any wildlife came upon the rifle range.

The first couple weeks, a chipmunk would wander on to the range. I would call a cease-fire, and we would wait a minute or two for it to scamper off. After that, the llittle bastard would linger and I would have to walk out on to the range and shoo it away.

As the weeks went on, the little curr became bolder. I would shoo it away and it would come right back out on to the range as soon as I would turn my back.

At about week seven, I took a shot at it, just to scare it. I didn’t see it the rest of the week.

Weeks 8 and 9 went by with a few visits, but it was more easily scared off.

By week 10, it was as bold as ever. I was taking shots at it (again, to scare it) and it didn’t even blink. The little [censored] was taunting me. The whole summer, the rodent had been screwing up my range schedule and it was time for me to exact my revenge.

On Thursday of week 10, just before third bell (the close of afternoon activities, the last round of shooting for the summer), my little friend wanders onto the range. There was only one camper shooting. I call a cease-fire, grab a rifle, and shoot that little [censored] dead.

She asks me if I hit it and I said no. When she finished her rounds, I told her to stay put and I retrieved her target. After all the kids were gone, I grabbed the carcass and tossed it into the woods.

We were still cleaning up (only about 10 minutes later) and the lead counselor storms out to the range. The story she recounted to me was like I had set it up in front of half the camp like a firing squad. She was really steaming. And me, being a punk teenager, had to get into a shouting match with her.

The Camp Manager is also pissed and tells me I had to leave immediately. I was told to pack my stuff right away and go. The camp was closing for the season the following day.

The funniest part is that several weeks earlier a bat got into the lodge. The entire camp witnessed the bat being beaten to death with broom handles. No one was punished.

Cliffs notes: I was fired from my job as a summer camp counselor because I shot and killed a chipmunk on the rifle range in front of a camper.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Trip Report: First time I was fired from a job.

Have you been working on this post for the past 18 years?
Old 03-18-2007, 04:47 PM

someone want to check the internet to see if this story has been posted already?
Old 03-18-2007, 04:59 PM

awesome story.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:59 PM

standard
Old 03-18-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
someone want to check the internet to see if this story has been posted already?

[/ QUOTE ]

its not [censored] worth it just delete the thread
Old 03-18-2007, 05:31 PM

i thought it was an interesting read for a boring sunday afternoon.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Make sure you don't ever let me live that one down. 'Cuz I'm the first person to ever make some [censored] up (or steal someone else's story) on the internets.

Are you ever going to let me post a story without calling shenanigans?

It's embarrassing enough to be called out (mostly because I was too stupid to check myself). It's like I've been mugged and beaten. Then daryn comes along and kicks me in the balls while I'm on the ground bleeding.

Let he who has never told a tall tale cast the first stone.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Make sure you don't ever let me live that one down. 'Cuz I'm the first person to ever make some [censored] up (or steal someone else's story) on the internets.

Are you ever going to let me post a story without calling shenanigans?

It's embarrassing enough to be called out (mostly because I was too stupid to check myself). It's like I've been mugged and beaten. Then daryn comes along and kicks me in the balls while I'm on the ground bleeding.

Let he who has never told a tall tale cast the first stone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude,

1- You did not tell a "tall tale" you wholesale cut and pasted another story.

2- No, not very many people have done that, because we're not pieces of [censored].

3- This is the first time you've actually admitted that wasn't you. Very subsequent time it's been brought up you've maintained that it was your story. So not only did you obviously [censored] up and get caught, you then tried to lie your way out of it. How exactly are you fronting like you have any portion of the moral high ground here.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How exactly are you fronting like you have any portion of the moral high ground here.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think I have any 'moral high ground' here. I'm just asking for a little forgiveness.

You guys ever make a poor decision before?

I ADMITS IT. I STOLZ A STOOPID INTERNETS STORY AND TRIED TO SELL IT AS MY OWN. PLEEEEEEEEZE 2P2 FORGEEV ME. IT WON'T HAPPENS AGAIN.

Puh-puh-puh-puh-PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE!!!11!!1!1