Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 09:58 PM

Default Another passive play

Canterbury 15/30

Villain in this hand usually plays in the 30 but steps down when the game is bad, which means he is no dummy. He is TAG and has no obvious leaks. Maybe he open limps early a little too much, but other than that he is good.

I am losing and card dead. He has not seen me get out of line.

I open A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] utg, folded to villain otb and he 3bets.

Flop:A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check, he bets I call with intention of donking most turns.

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I decide to check, he checks.

River: I bet he calls.

Pf is obv marginal. Just wondering about the flop, turn and possibly river if someone can make a cr argument.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Another passive play

if you say he is a good player, wouldn't you expect him to bet the river with QQ-TT? I don't know. I don't like your "donk the turn" line when an ace turn isn't one of the cards you donk. It seems to me that this would be one of the more obvious donk the turn cards. To do it on other turn cards, but not this one, makes it seem like you are more willing to put in money when there is a reasonable chance you are behind than when ahead. "donk the turn" in this situation should be because you want to prevent him from chkcing behind with QQ. It shouldn't be to "see where you're at" which seems to be why you are doing it (given that you're not doing it on an ace turn). Additionally, if you check/raise here, it'll be a hell of a lot easier to fold QQ than if you were to donk. Donking a non-ace turn seems like you'll pay 3 bets when behind, get paid 2 bets or 0 bets when ahead. By just checking the turn, you all but garauntee getting paid one bet.

If I'm not clear - I'm fine with donking the turn. I'm fine with a completely passive line. However, this is probably your best possible "donk the turn" card, even if you weren't originally planning to do so.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:10 PM

I will reply to this quickly mostly bc I agree with what you say. Before, the turned Ace I was concerned mostly with a face card that would bring him 6 outs if he has QQ, JJ, or TT though I think we get raised enough to make this play wrong too.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:13 PM

Also I am not donking turn to see where I am at. I will give thoughts on my turn check later.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also I am not donking turn to see where I am at. I will give thoughts on my turn check later.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, your donking the turn to make sure a turn bets goes in.

As my friend CardSharpCook said, if you intended on donking the turn this is the best card to donk it with.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:58 PM

i think the line to take on the flop is extremely dependent on your history with villain.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:44 AM

We dont have much of one. Probably played no more than 10 hrs with him. I cant think of a hand stands out in that time. He probably views me as at least reasonable.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:30 AM

Meh, I just donk turn. If he has TT-QQ he's probably calling like a tard but checking behind if you check. I'd rather collect an almost certain 2 bets from QQ or lower than to hope we can collect 3 from a K, especially since this sounds like the kind of guy probably not 3betting KQ. If he seems like a "decent" live TAG then he probably does a lot of stupid stuff where you don't know what he had, so it seems reasonable that we can get 2 bets from lower pairs.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think the line to take on the flop is extremely dependent on your history with villain.

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw, i'd likely c/r the flop.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw, i'd likely c/r the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont u think cring flop gets him away from JJ or QQ too quickly and gets us to pay 2bbs on turn when behind?