Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 04:11 AM

Default 10nl- TPGK check raised on flop lead into on turn

hey guys, im new to table no reads reads in villian

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP1 ($9.50)
MP2 ($14.50)
CO ($3.65)
Hero ($9)
SB ($10.30)
BB ($10.70)
UTG ($12.10)
UTG+1 ($8.30)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.35</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $0.25.

Flop: ($0.75) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.55</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $1.6</font>, Hero calls $1.05.

Turn: ($3.95) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $2</font>, Hero ???
Old 10-22-2007, 04:21 AM

Default Re: 10nl- TPGK check raised on flop lead into on turn

Think a weaker K is certainly possible against an unknown, particularly noting the weak turn bet after the raise. Since we called the flop I think I go ahead and call turn too.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:46 AM

oh well... I, as well, think of a weaker K. Flop - he wants "to see where he stands", hence the c/r instead of betting out. Turn, he still doesnīt know where he stands, so the small bet.

But this can also be a set. Flop - he c/r because heīs afraid you might fold if he bets out. He wants some of your chips. Turn - he wants you to stay in the hand now. Two-Pair w/ suited Ks might play like this, too. (I donīt say he should call with them, but some do).

Both plays I have seen before.

A lot depends on villains preflop calling range here and we donīt know about that. If he is rather tight, he doesnīt have K9s, if he does have it sometimes, he somestimes has K8s as well. If he is decent, KT is all we can hope for, right? So it doesnīt look very good.

I think we need a plan here how to play the hand to the very end.

Can we assume he doesnīt bet the river? We risk 2 to win 5.95 then. But can we? What if he bets the river like half pot? We need to be good only ~25% of the time to call, then. Or what if he bets the river like $3, we need to be good ~22% of the time to call. But chances are he just sucked us in. (These numbers do not take rake into account, real numbers are a bit higher.)

So, in practice, I canīt help but call this turn.
In theory, I tend to advertise folding. If you see it like this, it might even be better to fold the flop to his c/r in the first place. Now this may seem pretty weak against an unkown at NL10, but as you see, the pot is growing quickly, itīs getting too big for our holding and, generaly speaking, you must respect the c/r even at NL10 (if someone is not an obvious gambler).
Old 10-22-2007, 07:20 AM

FWIW I think this hand smells like one of those "BB trying to resteal" kind of situations.

The problem is though if you call the turn you're starting to get in deep with TP-okayish-K, which isn't great. When the pot gets really big it just becomes a bluff catcher.

Assuming your hand has just become a bluff catcher, then the question rises. Is BB bluffing you here? Need to pull out the history/reads I'd think, to be sure.

(All the above is my n00b opinion, dont take as gospel)