Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 07:16 PM

Default 5nl pf raiser takes weird line

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP3 ($5.33)
CO ($11.72)
Button ($9.93)
SB ($5.05)
BB ($3.24)
UTG ($10.37)
Hero ($16.84)
MP1 ($2.80)
MP2 ($5)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $0.05.
UTG calls $0.05, Hero calls $0.05, MP1 calls $0.05, MP2 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $0.12</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $0.07, Hero calls $0.07, MP1 calls $0.07, MP2 folds.

Flop: ($0.58) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.15</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls $0.15, MP1 folds.

Turn: ($0.88) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $1.25</font>, Hero calls $0.55.

River: ($3.38) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $3.53 (All-In)</font>, Hero ???
Old 09-29-2007, 07:24 PM

Default Re: 5nl pf raiser takes weird line

fold preflop
fold turn
fold river

what do u beat that he 3-bets you? ... what do u beat anyway ... nothing, your drawing to a hand that could already be dominated and you could be drawing dead
Old 09-29-2007, 08:30 PM

I find hand reading hard at NL5 so take this with a pinch of salt. Without stats/reads my general feeling would be that he's rasing with a pair or AK/AQ/AJ something like that, i'm not going to be too specific because you can't really tell.

On the flop my guess would be that he's caught something on the flop, the bet size is non-standard and doesn't really reveal anything. Not very helpful for sure! There could be an arguement for raising to find out if he's serious, but seeing as you've got a draw and you're getting good pot odds i'd call.

Turn. You can raise to see if he's serious or you can draw. Seeing as you raised and he 3bet, I'd guess he's got a made hand and isn't drawing. I dont often see people 3bet a draw at NL5. What sucks for you is the paired board, you could be drawing dead. The bet isn't giving you good pot odds to draw plus your draw might be no good. Also if the 3rd club comes it could well kill action from one pair hands. Your implied odds are rubbish, you could be drawing dead against a full/higher flush and should you make your flush you're probably not going to win his entire stack.

Fold to his 3bet. Calling his small bet and drawing is an option too, but be cautious on the river. His small bet and minraise look like he's got a monster (in his opinion anyway) and he was trying to get you to bluff.

River. As played fold, he's got a hand better the a pair of eights. There's no reason to go looking him up, there's no reason to make marginal 'is he bluffing?' calls because you can win at NL5 just by playing tight ABC poker without having to make any tough decisions.

My 2c (might be incorrect!)
Old 09-30-2007, 06:02 PM

thanks alot guys! yea i folded on the river

i called the flop cos i was drawing the the flush- his turn raise is what really confused me it was so small so i reraised hoping to represent the Qs. When he 3 bet thats when i knew that that he had something, i called becuase i wanted to draw to the flush- which was the main mistake i made cos i could be drawing dead but river was an 8 and i knew it was no good so i folded

again thanks everyone!