Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT

Old 10-31-2007, 06:28 PM

Default Big stack takes very weird line...

This is a hand from the FT $30 rebuy. I chose to post it here instead of SS because this tourny played more like a high buy in and w/ many big names in the small field and still alive late(P0KERPR0, apestyles, chipsteela, AJK, mr. big, the list goes on). Obv switch it over to SS if needed.

Around 60 left, I was active early but tight since the rebuy period ended. BB is unknown but has a monster stack of 30k+. I have around 9k.

Blinds 80/160
I'm on the button with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 1 MP limper, I raise to 455, bb calls, limper folds.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Pretty dry flop, I make my continuation bet of 795 into 1100 or so. BB calls.

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB min leads into me for 160. What the hell? I was pretty sure I had the best hand but this is so weird. Do we just call for pot control? I'll stop here before discussing the river.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Big stack takes very weird line...

I call for pot control. I assume you were not planning on firing away when you ended up hitting your hand here. I call and re-evaluate for river.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:42 PM

I'm obv not trying to get 50+ bb's in here, so I decided to call and see what happens on the river. On the turn, what do we put him on?
Old 10-31-2007, 06:59 PM

Just call and re-eval on the river
Old 10-31-2007, 07:41 PM

i agree just to call, but often times the min-bettor will make a pot sized bet (or one close to it on the river). I say he never has a queen here. Based on his stack size I woul dput him on something like 8-9 or 88.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:42 PM

I call.

River: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

He leads pot, 3200 into 3200. I have somewhere in the ballpark of of 7500. Now, I hate making hero calls in tournaments so I'm not thinking to seriously about calling, but what in the hell do we put him on? That is, what could he possibly have called with on the flop (then min led with on the turn) that he is potting on this incredibly dangerous board? 88 is the only thing that really makes sense to me, and even then why so much?
Old 10-31-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i agree just to call, but often times the min-bettor will make a pot sized bet (or one close to it on the river). I say he never has a queen here. Based on his stack size I woul dput him on something like 8-9 or 88.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-01-2007, 11:43 AM

Looks like a set/str8
Old 11-01-2007, 06:49 PM

i call his turn min bet, but fold to river pot bet. deff looks like a straight here (88)
Old 11-01-2007, 07:02 PM

Call turn, fold river. Also what are you trying to accomplish with your preflop raise. With a limper you have to raise more here, around 4X is good.