Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 05:33 AM

Default Re: What is Harrah\'s Thinking?

This isn't in reference to the "wash" that a dealer does when entering the box and starting up the other deck of cards (where they swish the cards in a big circle, north south, east west, make a big deal out it) or when a player asks for it.

A "scramble" is pretty much taking the discards/stub/all the cards from the previous hand and doing a very quick small swoosh around with them, maybe toss in taking some cards off the top and scrunching them into the rest of the deck while picking it up to be straightened out before the dealer goes into the shuffling. It takes all of 3-5 seconds and is just one of those things players don't even think about, its second nature.

Which is why I said, it's typical retarded Harrahs because they bothered to make a rule about something that'll be blown off by the majority of dealers within 10 minutes, but people will need to complain and get on their (Harrahs') case in case they (Harrahs) gets on the dealer's cases over the scrambles.

The scramble is important because without it I could finish dealing a hand, drop the stub completely intact, then pile up the discards, place them on top and start the shuffle right there. See Blair's concern about stacking now?
Old 06-01-2007, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't in reference to the "wash" that a dealer does when entering the box and starting up the other deck of cards (where they swish the cards in a big circle, north south, east west, make a big deal out it) or when a player asks for it.

A "scramble" is pretty much taking the discards/stub/all the cards from the previous hand and doing a very quick small swoosh around with them, maybe toss in taking some cards off the top and scrunching them into the rest of the deck while picking it up to be straightened out before the dealer goes into the shuffling. It takes all of 3-5 seconds and is just one of those things players don't even think about, its second nature.

Which is why I said, it's typical retarded Harrahs because they bothered to make a rule about something that'll be blown off by the majority of dealers within 10 minutes, but people will need to complain and get on their (Harrahs') case in case they (Harrahs) gets on the dealer's cases over the scrambles.

The scramble is important because without it I could finish dealing a hand, drop the stub completely intact, then pile up the discards, place them on top and start the shuffle right there. See Blair's concern about stacking now?

[/ QUOTE ]

ok wow. i don't think i've ever seen a dealer not do this. sounds like they're asking for trouble
Old 06-01-2007, 07:17 AM

In any industry, if someone doesn't know why a procedure was put in place, they may later move to eliminate it without realizing the consequences. I'm guessing that is what happened here. Hopefully, once things are explained to the powers that be, they'll switch back.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:48 AM

I just complained to a supervisor about the policy change and he informed me that for years past dealers have been informed to not do a quick scramble between shuffles and that he's not aware of any policy changes this year. I told him that its a huge security issue because of stacking and card trackers. the supervisor assured me that none of the dealers here know how to stack a deck and that all his dealers are honest. I told him that "I know he's done a great job hiring horrible dealers this year and that I know all of his staff is honest. after all, that's why we 2m in chips were added to the me last year." he said that those responsible for that were fired. I said "oh you found the culprit? no I guess you fired all of your staff last year then." he said most employees were replaced and wished me a happy wsop and walked off.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just complained to a supervisor about the policy change and he informed me that for years past dealers have been informed to not do a quick scramble between shuffles and that he's not aware of any policy changes this year. I told him that its a huge security issue because of stacking and card trackers. the supervisor assured me that none of the dealers here know how to stack a deck and that all his dealers are honest. I told him that "I know he's done a great job hiring horrible dealers this year and that I know all of his staff is honest. after all, that's why we 2m in chips were added to the me last year." he said that those responsible for that were fired. I said "oh you found the culprit? no I guess you fired all of your staff last year then." he said most employees were replaced and wished me a happy wsop and walked off.

[/ QUOTE ]

typical (and expected) response from them...love your comments though
Old 06-01-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does Harrah's make more money by dealing more hands during a tournament?

Anyway, I recall that skipping the scramble has been a policy at other tournaments, maybe even last year's WSOP. I didn't realize how much of a security risk it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tourney ends faster?

afish is right though, some guy who knows nothing about poker wants to save 3 seconds a hand (which is about a minut an hour)and saw this "weird scarmblin thing" as a waste.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the supervisor assured me that none of the dealers here know how to stack a deck and that all his dealers are honest.

[/ QUOTE ]

if this doesn't reassure you that everything is fine, i don't know what will.....
Old 06-01-2007, 01:53 PM

Harrah's certainly seems to be once again disappointing the masses. Between the registration woes, the inexperienced dealing staff, and this, it really looks like a discouraging situation.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wished me a happy wsop and walked off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Happy WSOP Mike! Happy WSOP everyone!

omg lets jump the tool who said that, drag him outside and tie him to a flagpole.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:10 PM

Location: Downswing? No, playing bad. No, I\'m sure its just a downswing.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wished me a happy wsop and walked off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Happy WSOP Mike! Happy WSOP everyone!

omg lets jump the tool who said that, drag him outside and duct tape him to a flagpole.

[/ QUOTE ]