Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 06:11 AM

Default Re: (kind of LC) how to improve mental fortitude?

I find the latter much more compicated
Old 09-05-2007, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've probably played close to 1M hands of HU NL

[/ QUOTE ]

woah
Old 09-05-2007, 06:22 AM

lol, american slobs [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2007, 08:16 AM

i've found i do things like this most when im tired, so ive started playing only when im fully alert and even then often drink a couple red bulls in my session to keep me as alert as possible. Also I find during losing streaks I play a much lazier, worse game and I think that moving down or practicing game selection is far more important during those times.

Other things that might help:

-Thinking out loud and thinking every decisions through (no autopilot - often involves less tables)
-not checking cashier (obv harder to not know how you are doing HU).
Old 09-05-2007, 08:18 AM

This post is pretty similiar to Claytons thread.
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...page=&vc=1
Old 09-05-2007, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a) don't play if you don't feel like it
b) take breaks between sessions; by breaks I mean go jogging, swimming or playing tennis or smth. Breathe fresh air; inhale the sun.
c) don't check PT/balance as to how much you're up or down. If you find yourself checking how much you're down just suspend the session.
d) switch games; play PLO or 6max or FR or lower limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

a,c, and d are all fine - inhaling the Sun is really bad advice. No one wants to run that hot! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2007, 10:06 AM

i 11-12 table and i play fairly short sessions, 45 mins-1hr. my best days are 3-4 1 hr sessions broken up by irl activities. obviously i miss out on some ev because i have huge stacks less often than if i played for longer, but for me personally i feel it is worth the sacrifice to almost always be playing my A game, and very rarely tilt.

whenever i start to feel like im losing focus and/or multitasking too much (might sound weird to some people but even when 12 tabling i can often tend to get really bored and start surfing the web/chatting to multiple people) or like im starting to get upset at running bad, i always get this feeling sort of like a rush of blood to the head as though my brain is saying "you are getting overwhelmed here" so i untick straight away and take a break. i find even closing all tables and then resessioning 5 minutes later can make a huge difference.

these solutions might not be optimal for most people, especially for HU where playing deepstacked is more crucial, but they work very well for me both as someone who is semibored of poker but still wants to log a lot of hands, and as someone semiprone to emotional volatility.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:09 AM

playing long hours makes a lot of people just play their standards and not play well. Taking breaks when every hour or so makes you keep your game fresh. I noticed I was doing then and it has really helped.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:19 AM

honestly exercising regularly will help your tilt more than anything (if you aren't already). get in the habit of running for 30 min or something every morning before you play and i guarantee you'll notice a difference.

also as other have said, being conscious of your thought process in a hand ("thinking out loud") helps keep your tilt in check and make sure you are making decisions for rational reasons. (ie not emotional). essentially you are forcing yourself to give a rational explanation for every decision you make which makes it a lot harder to make impulsive moves.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:49 AM

TBH I've been having the same problems, but given the fact that i mostly play poker when I'm procrastinating, I think a really small stop loss (currently one buy in for me) is the way to go. Ofc, I'm still trying to deal with the tilt, even the notion of stopping your session is a hard task to accomplish.