Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 11-24-2007, 05:18 PM

Default fish commenting on my tight play

So I play 2-5 limit at my local b&m, and unfortunately that's the biggest game they have. You can't push anyone out at this level, and people play junk to the river every hand, so it's hardly even poker. People play there like they're playing slots, so I've found that the only way to beat the game is to play good cards and not get involved with the maniacs throwing $ at every pot. Well, it seems after a while of playing a session at a table (and usually successfully) some fish has to make some comment about me playing a limited amount of hands, and of course he's playing every hand and has usually already bought back in a few times.

So, my question is, do any of you have any witty retorts to the fish trying to tell me how to play? I asked a fish last night about his chapter in his book that states you should play junk to the river every hand. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Re: fish commenting on my tight play

Don't tap on the glass. Why would you want to encourage people to play well?

I would just drink while you play. Folding will be less boring and the fish will think that you are loose.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:29 PM

ignore it, or just make a comment like "i havent been lucky today, so why risk it" to make it look like youre fishy as well
Old 11-24-2007, 05:29 PM

You raise a good point, I don't want to encourage people to play well. However, when they make loud comments out of ignorance about my play, it annoys me. Maybe I should just ignore it.
I'd rather say something funny though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You raise a good point, I don't want to encourage people to play well. However, when they make loud comments out of ignorance about my play, it annoys me. I should just ignore it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you should.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, when they make loud comments out of ignorance about my play, it annoys me. Maybe I should just ignore it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to enjoy your time in a card room you need to improve your annoyance threshold; i.e., don't let yourself get annoyed over what amounts to nothing.

Only say something funny if it is funny and doesn't point in the direction that playing fewer hands is the right way to play. Otherwise you can simply shrug.

~ Rick
Old 11-24-2007, 06:08 PM

God bless internet poker!!! Just be quiet or make fun of yourself, if you don't want to make money tell them to tighten up.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You raise a good point, I don't want to encourage people to play well. However, when they make loud comments out of ignorance about my play, it annoys me. Maybe I should just ignore it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What ignorance? It sounds like you're playing tight and the guy said you were tight? Did he imply that you were a bad player? If so, why wouldn't you want to further encourage that line of thinking? There's nothing I like better when playing poker than a bad player thinking he's better than I am.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:09 PM

I think the main problem is that it destroys your action if some idiot announces to the whole table that you play tight.

What i usually do in this spot is showing a bluff, or even better bluff the guy who destroys my action. Very often they will fold their holdings to a good sized bet couse you are playing so "tight". However I play NL so dont try this too often at limit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2007, 11:51 PM

Great example at the game tonight. I folded 10-15 hands being that I was just getting crap cards. Finally I get pocket queens, and I raise to $7. Guess what? 7 callers.
Flop comes 2d-3h-3d. I raise to $5, villain (LAG)raises to $10, next player (LAG) to his left takes it to $15. Table folds to me, I call. Turn comes a 6c. I raise $5(all in), call, call. River is a 5h. Villain turns over Jd4d for the straight, guy in front of him mucks. I can understand all of his outs after the flop and turn, but to raise pre-flop with J4suited? I'm guessing his loose buddy next to him was playing the same junk he'd been playing all night. I'm to the point of learning micro-limit games are more about getting lucky cards than playing poker. You can't push people out of anything, and they all play garbage to the river. If you catch cards, you'll slaughter the place, but for me, it's no limit from here on out for a while.

Reminds me of $5 limit blackjack. If you're counting cards, when the deck gets positive, you can't put enough $ in when the odds are in your favor to offset the negative deck playing time.
low limit=less about skill, more about luck