Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 10:07 PM

Default $6.50 A9 Bubble

This isn't a good flop to cbet is it? Especially since i have the oesd (having the nuts if king hits) and don't really wanna have to get blown off my hand by a re raise ,with broadways being in villians range and my image so far (uber agressive , but ive had big hands , and only a few went to showdown , they probally have me labled as a maniac).
How about the turn though , do i just check behind again or take a shot at it?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB (t3183)
BB (t1995)
UTG (t5012)
Hero (t3310)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t500</font>, SB calls t400, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t1200) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t1200) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero ?
Old 11-20-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Re: $6.50 A9 Bubble

I think checking the flop is fine b/c the flop probably connects with the villain's hand. On the turn though when he checks to you for the 2nd time, his hand looks pretty weak (maybe underpairs or ax). That being the case I like betting the turn for 700 or so to fold out underpairs or weakly played hands that may be ahead of you (j8s or something random like that).
Old 11-20-2007, 10:16 PM

Yeah i messed this up. I was debating betting 1/2-2/3 pot on the turn and wussed out given it being the bubble and if i dont get a fold than my stack has dwindled pretty close to even with the shortstack.
Than on the river i just didn't see any point in betting because he will probally look me up with a underpair the way the hand played out.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:16 PM

I like the way you played it, as vers said you could definitely make a bet on the turn but I wouldn't do that at a 6.5. Villains don't like to be bluffed off hands, this will look like a bluff considering you checked the flop, and he is going to call with anything that connected with that and also probably some under pairs or Ax. I like checking behind on the turn as well because he could still be holding any of those board cards and you don't want to get raised off of your draw.
One more small issue is that it's not always a bad thing to show a little bit of weakness at this point in a tourny, it'll give more legitimacy to your future c bets and delayed c bets.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:54 AM

I would check the turn again. Except for the occasional 44-88, he has to have hit the board in some way and I don't like your chanve to make him fold here.