Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 11:43 AM

Default Do you believe humanity will reach the year 3000?

And if yes, in what shape?

It's an arbitrary number of course for a catchy thread subject, so feel free to discuss years 2100, 10000 or 100000 instead.

Or more generally, how confident are you the human race at a whole will be able to deal with the global problems it undoubtedly will be facing, like global warming, overpopulation, weapons of mass destruction, diseases, etc.

Also, will people still play poker in the year 3000?
Old 07-23-2007, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Do you believe humanity will reach the year 3000?

Undoubtedly humanity's form would change over 100,000 years, but I think we will survive for a long, long time. Humanity will undoubtedly have periods of regression and undoing - 'fall of rome' periods if you will. But it's hard for me to picture some event *completely* eradicating the human race instead of leaving a few select (selected Darwinianly perhaps?) cultures left to repopulate. That's the thing about life in general, it is viral. Even if only a small amount remains, as long as there are resources, it will propagate itself.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But it's hard for me to picture some event *completely* eradicating the human race

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 07-23-2007, 05:01 PM

"And if yes, in what shape?"

We will have colonized a few bodies in our solar system have begun to colonize other planets in other solar systems. Robots will also do most of our work.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But it's hard for me to picture some event *completely* eradicating the human race

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL indeed. Name something you think could kill every single human on the earth. The only event I will concede could is a cosmic collision, and we aren't due to hit another galaxy for a period of time much larger than any given.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:39 PM

" Name something you think could kill every single human on the earth."

Nuclear war.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:48 PM

no way, not as we understand it today anyway. the odds of humanity surviving any given catastrophic/essence-changing event are pretty good i guess, but the combined odds of surviving them all have got to be dire.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
" Name something you think could kill every single human on the earth."

Nuclear war.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I can easily see this killing 99% of us and throwing the rest into the stone age, but killing every single person? The social elite would be in bunkers before the ICBM's struck, and the nuclear arsenal in question would have to be fired spread across the globe so as to intentionally contaminate every water source and patch of land. This just doesn't sound probable for causing _extinction_ of the human race. There is just too many of us in too many places.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no way, not as we understand it today anyway. the odds of humanity surviving any given catastrophic/essence-changing event are pretty good i guess, but the combined odds of surviving them all have got to be dire.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what kind of events you're thinking of. However, I suspect that if one of them happens the others become a lot less likely. For example, if a nuclear war kills 99% of the human population then the chances that a new virus will come along to wipe the rest out goes way down (assuming survivors are in isolated populations).
Old 07-23-2007, 08:25 PM

No, not in any meaningful way. At least, I'll be horribly disappointed if [censored] sapiens sapiens (censored??? lol) is still running the show in a thousand years.