Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 04:11 AM

Default Re: NL50 - KK on A high flop

[ QUOTE ]
The river card wasn't the prettiest in the deck

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? Villain is less likely to have an ace, and he is less likely to believe we have an ace when he has a pair.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you want to make the pot bigger when you are OoP? I would prefer to make the pot big when being IP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you want to win the pot already preflop, and if you don't you want to charge him a good price to get to the flop and start messing with us in position. We have the best hand so more money into the pot = better.

I don't get this pot control thing. I just don't. Seems like many people think that pot control is always the priority #1, I can't make myself agree with that. Plus raising $1 less or more hardly makes pot that much different sized that pot control becomes of importance. I think pot control is more about betting or checking (on later streets) than betting a bit more or a bit less.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:26 AM

When you hold KK preflop, there is no pot control. Jam it. If you are oop, you want to make sure that villain does not get good odds to call to draw out on you. It has nothing to do with pot control. You actually try to get it all-in. You are almost always ahead here, so get in as much money as you can.

I like the postflop line. I bet more on the turn, though. It looks very weak. Since villain's stats are pretty passive, I bet the river myself. I don't make it very big. I want to balance between a block and a value bet.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:46 AM

3bet pre and bet flop.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3bet pre and bet flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

He did 3bet preflop and I can see few good reasons to bet this flop. He is either way ahead or way behind. The only reason would be protection against a flushdraw... So. Care to elaborate?
Old 03-29-2007, 05:05 AM

Not betting the A on the flop is terrible! Generally, with any pair, if there appears only one overcard on the flop, bet it to represent TP. Checking in these situations gives you no information where you are and looks very weak most times.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:13 AM

I agree that you shouldn't check everytime you have a PP and an A comes, because that is easily to be exploited. So check with your AK from time to time too or do this with KK only rarely. But how could villain call without an A here on a drawless board (except the flushdraw, which is the only reason for me to bet here), unless he is a calling station with his PPs?

It would be nice to be in position here, though. Another reason to bet. But what's your plan if he minraises us? if he makes a real raise? Give me your reasons for your bets and tell me how you react to resistance.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not betting the A on the flop is terrible! Generally, with any pair, if there appears only one overcard on the flop, bet it to represent TP. Checking in these situations gives you no information where you are and looks very weak most times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you want to represent TP?

If he has TP, he doesn't care that you represent TP. If he doesn't have TP, you do not to want him to think you have a TP. The only reason to bet the flop is to make draws pay, you have no need to scare lower pairs out by representing anything.

"looks very weak" = so what, is the goal in poker to look as strong as possible all the time?
Old 03-29-2007, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If he has TP, he doesn't care that you represent TP. If he doesn't have TP, you do not to want him to think you have a TP. The only reason to bet the flop is to make draws pay, you have no need to scare lower pairs out by representing anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this in so many ways that I cant bothered to type them out.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:52 AM

You should.

a) It's crap to just come along and say "YOU'RE WRONG!!! DO YOU SEE WHY!"
b) jimpo is pretty much dead on, imo and I've given various reasons why. You gave none.