Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 12:51 PM

Default home game: 300max NL $1/$2 postflop play

So here is the situation. I am in a home game $300 max NL, $1/$2 game. A couple hours in I have $470 in my stack at a full table (10 players). An aggressive player (who is playing below his normal limit so he likes to push people around) in third position makes the standard raise to $10. two players fold to me and I look down at A-A. I make a raise to $25 (I probably should have made it $30). everyone folds back to the initial raiser who makes the call.

Pot: $53

Flop: J-T-5 rainbow (i don't remember suits but it was rainbow)

He checks. I bet out $35. He raises me to $135.

]At this point I have slightly fewer chips than him with $410 in my stack. I figure to have two options: 1) Call and see what card falls (a lot of scare cards), and he is capable of making a big bluff if he thinks I have a hand like A-J, or Q-Q. 2) I can push all-in, laying him just over 2 to 1 to call.

I decide to call.

Pot: $323

Turn: T-J-5-8 no flush draws

He pushes me all-in for $310 in my stack.
I make the call. He flips up 9-7 and i'm drawing dead.

I have thought about this hand a lot and I've been working on some PokerStove numbers (incomplete at this time) and I'm trying to decide what the best course of action was on the flop. Any thoughts?

My logic was that I figured him to be an aggressive player capable of trying to push me off of a hand on the turn (I was planning on calling most all-in bets on the turn, especially if a scare card came). However, I would be making that call expecting a bluff from him. Realistically, any Ace, King, Queen, Jack, Ten, nine, eight, or seven would be scare cards given his range of hands to raise with PF and C/R me on the flop.

I appreciate any thoughts here.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: home game: 300max NL $1/$2 postflop play

preflop is far too small. i play post the same
Old 09-06-2007, 01:00 PM

Preflop, $32 seems like a better number. If game conditions require it, $35-$40.

Postflop, no to the above, Don't play this the same. for one, regardless of all else, the turn is a fold 100000x/100000. What can you possibly be beating here? He doesn't have a naked J and few are bold enough to do this with KQ/complete air. You have been check raised on the flop and shoved on for 150 BB's on the turn, your opponent has better than a one pair hand.

Flop is closer. You can call and re-evaluate the turn. With a solid read, folding here is possible, as this would be a pretty common live player line with JJ/TT. Throw in possibility of JT, and you aren't good often.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:50 PM

with the description of villian you gave I shove flop.
fold turn as played.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:30 PM

If you shove the flop, no worse hand calls but every better one does. If he's overplaying TP or being overaggressive with air, shoving flop is silly.