Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Earth is unique and just right for humans indicates a divine plan

"I mean water, the right distance from the sun, the right distance from the moon, the right gravity. Don't all of these seem like a miracle or an act of providence that allowed humans and all other life forms to exist? "

That is ignorance.

Ask me a (answerable) astronomy question. I'll answer it.

Unlike you, I am well-versed on the topic.

To answer that "question", well, I did. You're just too focused on ripping on me to realize that I already answered it. The answer is, yes the odds are most likely "astronomical". But when you are talking about the universe, the superlative "astronomical" does not hold nearly the same weight it does in common parlance. Your usage of "astronomical" is what I found funny.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:43 PM

41 light years away. The universe is estimated at 78 billion light years. We humans don't know very much, do we?
Old 11-07-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
41 light years away. The universe is estimated at 78 billion light years. We humans don't know very much, do we?

[/ QUOTE ]

Help!

The big bang was ~14 BY ago, yes? How do any two particles get more than 28 BLY apart? Is there some addition for the Hubble constant and the expansion of space?
Old 11-07-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps not. But we at least have an insatiable desire to learn. This project should yield more data. (Assuming it ever gets off the ground.)

Terrestrial Planet Finder

Aside:

[ QUOTE ]
That is ignorance.

Ask me a (answerable) astronomy question. I'll answer it.

Unlike you, I am well-versed on the topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations. You haven't proven her wrong though. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Help!

The big bang was ~14 BY ago, yes? How do any two particles get more than 28 BLY apart? Is there some addition for the Hubble constant and the expansion of space?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_inflation
Old 11-08-2007, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But don't scientists acknowledge that the earth is very unique in so many attributes that manage to sustain life that the odds that we could sustain life if it wasn't a plan are astronomical.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't be the only one who had a good hearty laugh after reading this one.

Your post is so uninformed it is scary. People who know nothing about astronomy should either make an effort to learn it, or simply stfu. All you are doing at the moment is spreading ignorance. Familiar territory for a Christian though I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please be sure you read my Is This True? Why or Why Not? post. Maybe you need to think about your interpersonal relationship skills.

I didn't spread any ignorance. I asked a question.

Your post is what displayed ignorance. You displayed absolutely no knowledge in your response whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not astronomical since we have only found life on the one that can support it. Given the hundreds of billions of planets circling stars in each of the hundreds of billions of galaxies, it's really not all that astronomical that one should have good conditions, and that if/when it does, life might develop on it.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But don't scientists acknowledge that the earth is very unique in so many attributes that manage to sustain life that the odds that we could sustain life if it wasn't a plan are astronomical.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't be the only one who had a good hearty laugh after reading this one.

Your post is so uninformed it is scary. People who know nothing about astronomy should either make an effort to learn it, or simply stfu. All you are doing at the moment is spreading ignorance. Familiar territory for a Christian though I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please be sure you read my Is This True? Why or Why Not? post. Maybe you need to think about your interpersonal relationship skills.

I didn't spread any ignorance. I asked a question.

Your post is what displayed ignorance. You displayed absolutely no knowledge in your response whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not astronomical since we have only found life on the one that can support it. Given the hundreds of billions of planets circling stars in each of the hundreds of billions of galaxies, it's really not all that astronomical that one should have good conditions, and that if/when it does, life might develop on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is unfair. We have no evidence upon which we can formulate any estimate save that abiogenesis has occured once. Add to this the fact that many evolutionary biologists believe that abiogenesis only occured once on Earth.

I've heard creationists suggest that undirected abiogenesis is akin to a tornado passing through a junk yard and assemblying a jet airplane. I'm begining to think it's more like a strong breeze spading a random deck of cards. Or life is everywhere.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Help!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you cant imagine it, just deem it impossible or "epsilon."
Old 11-08-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is unfair. We have no evidence upon which we can formulate any estimate save that abiogenesis has occured once. Add to this the fact that many evolutionary biologists believe that abiogenesis only occured once on Earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you not understand large numbers? If you think the chances of abiogenesis are 0 come out and say it. I'll say it's greater than 0 because it happened once already, and from what we have seen life finds a way. If it isn't 0 then chances are really good that it has happened somewhere else because of the size of the cosmos.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you not understand large numbers? If you think the chances of abiogenesis are 0 come out and say it. I'll say it's greater than 0 because it happened once already, and from what we have seen life finds a way. If it isn't 0 then chances are really good that it has happened somewhere else because of the size of the cosmos.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you understand really small numbers? If the lifetime odds for abiogenesis for any given planet are the same as the odds of a unique shuffle of a deck of cards then, universe wide, we're stunningly lucky and likely alone.

There exists only ~10^81 baryons. Not so many when you divide by 10^67.