Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 11:15 PM

Default outside the box 1/2 S8b play

7 Card Stud High-Low ($1/$2), Ante $0.10 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB) - speculative hand but all of my outs are live and there are a ton of limpers - why not build a big pot?

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (6.80 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

I consider betting out, I definitely will call so I think of building a pot but i am sure that seat 7 will bet - he doesnt of course.

5th Street - (3.40 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets $0.80 and is all-in
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

I think this is standar, I hate that there are two clubs dead, but this still leaves me a ton of outs.

6th Street - (8.80 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___all-in
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

Bingo with redraws for the high

River - (13.80 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___calls
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___all-in
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___calls $0.60 and is all-in
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___folds

Total pot: (16.10 BB)
Old 05-31-2007, 12:03 AM

Default Re: outside the box 1/2 S8b play

Naturally I'm not crazy about 3rd but considering how abyssmally awful Seats 3 and 8 played this hand it's not quite so bad.

I wouldn't bet 4th either.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:25 AM

If this were high-only, I would like the raise on third. As it is, I think this is a clear limp. Betting fourth would be moderately idiotic in my opinion. When you raise fifth, you're just completing the bet, right? Having only two spades gone (they're called spades) is good. There are 32 unseen cards, 12 of which will give you a straight or better. You've got plenty of value there, I think. Of course you bet when you hit. Nice hand.

I don't think that $1/2 is the place for thinking outside the box.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:24 AM

Outside the box? 1/2 is hardly the place to stray from ABC poker.
Regularly playing those type hands in that fashion, in stud hilo, will cost you a considerable bb/100 over time. The better your opponents are the bigger the leak is.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:38 AM

it will cost many bb/100 against 3-4 limpers?

The reason I thought of betting fourth was the hope of cleaning out some of the low hands and gaining equity from the big hands

Looking at this again though, that Jack really isn't very helpful, it just adds another weak backdoor draw. A nine or a seven would have been much better.

I thought this was interesting when I played it, but I guess it isnt. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2007, 01:41 PM

looks like stud hi to me.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:10 AM

hey, beavis, if you dont mind me asking...maybe you do, if not it doesnt matter you don't have to answer, but whats your stars name.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:46 PM

As I am online poker poor and been playing .25-.50 lately I thought I would chime in about my experiences of playing outside the box stud8.

Basically one tabling 25-.50 is a little boring so I have been playing like 40% of my hands on 3rd lately when I have been playing.

One thing I have realized that if you are going to play a lot of crazy hands in a unorthodox manner you need to attack the weak players whose hands are face up. This doesnt work in multi-way pots like this one and you really need to learn how to value bet like a champ. After typing this out everyone is going to say "omgz duh you idiot" but I think it is important to point out.

Hand reading + understanding the mathmatics is really the key opening up your game and playing a lot of hands. Obv you can play ABC and probably beat a lot of games for a good hourly - and that is how I used to play (probably still would play if I wasnt playing for 10$) BUT I would image if you want to play on the next level and really win a lot of money you need to learn how to play.

Does anyone remember the DERB posts of a long time ago? I think the general idea that if you can learn how to really 'play poker'(so cliche,lol) you will be more sucsessful is something that is probably true.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:52 PM

Just in response to this hand however and actually analyzing wtf is going on here...

Thinking about how many people have entered the pot we can probably deduce that a lot of low cards are out right?

Thats good for our high oriented hand. IMO that makes this play slightly better but I still dont think this is a good place to really open up.

Also just another related thought since I have actually played a litle stud8 lately opposed to limited...

Just say no to peeling on 4th. For whatever reason it seems as though 'good' players are peeling and not thinking twice about it.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just in response to this hand however and actually analyzing wtf is going on here...

Thinking about how many people have entered the pot we can probably deduce that a lot of low cards are out right?

Thats good for our high oriented hand. IMO that makes this play slightly better but I still dont think this is a good place to really open up.

Also just another related thought since I have actually played a litle stud8 lately opposed to limited...

Just say no to peeling on 4th. For whatever reason it seems as though 'good' players are peeling and not thinking twice about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

First up beavis hi! I havnt checked my old email account for ages as its on my old pc and I havnt put it on my new pc yet [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway onto the hand. I like limping here, theres no need to go nuts though because they aint folding, you're only raising if you have enough equity here, plain and simple.

In response to the bolded section! A lot of the 1-2bb/100 winners at low limit stud8 have great hand reading skills but they play too much trash and play it too much and from the wrong position and too hard, if they knuckled down on 3rd and 4th they would double their profitability.

I know I played a very aggressive laggy insano game and was a winner at 1/2 and 2/4 stud8 on stars, the reason I wasn't a much bigger winner and suffered downswings was purely my hyper aggressive laggy style that it seems those "stuck" at 1/2+2/4 seem to have. Really solid fundamentals of 3rd play are lacking, and you CANT make it up with more skill later on @ 8 handed stud8 tables. ( imo ).